1. Originally posted by dieder:Great interview. Adam saying they do want to work with less intensity after SOE...might SOA be the last album?
    I think the next tour may be the last big tour they do, but I cant see them ever not making music together. Increasingly, albums are a thing of the past. People buy songs not albums. That's where U2's future is. Making great songs. HMTMKMKM is not an album track, and neither was The Ground Beneath Her Feet (apart from in UK). Mercy wasn't an album track either, but even its its most roughest, most underground form, its still a truly amazing song. I think Individual songs and a selection of performances rather than albums and tours is their next chapter after SOE and the tour Adam mentioned.
  2. Originally posted by paulc:[..]
    I think the next tour may be the last big tour they do, but I cant see them ever not making music together. Increasingly, albums are a thing of the past. People buy songs not albums. That's where U2's future is. Making great songs. HMTMKMKM is not an album track, and neither was The Ground Beneath Her Feet (apart from in UK). Mercy wasn't an album track either, but even its its most roughest, most underground form, its still a truly amazing song. I think Individual songs and a selection of performances rather than albums and tours is their next chapter after SOE and the tour Adam mentioned.
    This makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think I could ever see them completely stopping (at least I hope they don't), but I could see them downsizing in terms of music being released at once/the size of their tours.
  3. Originally posted by dieder:Great interview. Adam saying they do want to work with less intensity after SOE...might SOA be the last album?

I thought he meant the songs on SOE would be less intense thematically than SOI
  4. No, he speaks about the band's work load. Aka less tours, less concerts, less albums.

I can perfectly see the trilogy ending their career. SOI in 2014, SOE in 2017, SOA in 2020, last tour and farewell. Sounds reasonable.
  5. Originally posted by Caledonia:[..]
    I hope not, and he was fairly open-ended and said that in 4 or 5 years time, we'll take a look at things and see where they are.

That said I've often thought ever since I heard the title 'Songs Of Ascent' that it would be the kind of title for your final piece of work, something to bow out on - but it would have to be a masterpiece if that does happen to be the intent.

Personally though its hard to imagine them ever stopping unless something bad happens and they have no choice. Slowing down, yeah I can see that, especially on the road, but its what they do.

I cant imagine them relaxing beyond a year or two should they call it a day in times ahead, but I suppose we can't take them for granted and one day it will end, one way or another, and U2 will 'ascend and take their place with all the other satellites' - but wow, look at what they left behind for everyone.

Beautifully put
  6. I remember having this discussion with my friends about 25 years ago, at the start of the 1990s...we were asking ourselves: How long can the band go on? How long can you go on performing on those massive stages? Are they're going to do this for another ten or twenty years?
    We were talking about The Rolling Stones, of course.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    No, he speaks about the band's work load. Aka less tours, less concerts, less albums.

I can perfectly see the trilogy ending their career. SOI in 2014, SOE in 2017, SOA in 2020, last tour and farewell. Sounds reasonable.
    This would definitely be the ideal finishing point for them as a band.
  8. Even if the band stopped, I can't see Edge doing nothing.
  9. I can see them stopping in 2022 or something, but after a while they'll realize they love it too much, and they will continue as long as possible.