1. Originally posted by thefly108:Interesting. New material from bands is always nice, even just singles or standalone tracks, but albums are almost like a work of art. The flow is very deliberate and each track is meant to be heard in the context of the rest.

I don't think U2 will be doing what OneRepublic is doing, but who knows.
    I agree but do kids think like this anymore? Plus people are different. I never listen to war or unforgettable fire straight through but love listening to best of 80-90
  2. Originally posted by tampapete:[..]
    I agree but do kids think like this anymore? Plus people are different. I never listen to war or unforgettable fire straight through but love listening to best of 80-90
    I am a "kid" and I think the OneRepublic idea is not too smart, I am a fan of listening to albums straight through personally.
  3. Originally posted by guykirk9:[..]
    I am a "kid" and I think the OneRepublic idea is not too smart, I am a fan of listening to albums straight through personally.
    +1, but I know a lot of people my own age who never listen to whole albums. The idea seems lost on them.
  4. I think a good balance would be to release songs individually that they think maybe wouldn't work on the current project then release an album of completely new songs at the end of whatever period it time it takes. 3-5 years in the case of u2 so we could be getting 3,4,5 tracks a year to keep things ticking over keep us happy and then we'd have another 10-12 completely new songs on a album to enjoy. That I'd be delighted with as we'd get more material in general and not lose the experience of listening to an album.
  5. Originally posted by thefly108:Interesting. New material from bands is always nice, even just singles or standalone tracks, but albums are almost like a work of art. The flow is very deliberate and each track is meant to be heard in the context of the rest.

I don't think U2 will be doing what OneRepublic is doing, but who knows.

There's nothing better than an album, I agree. But, I'm still convinced "Invisible" was a victim of uncertainty. I think it was meant to be an album track, and then the album got delayed and it became a redundant single. I could be dead wrong, that's just my thought... A bad thing? Not for us fans... an intermittent single. I'm thinking it's very likely the same might happen with "The Little Things" if they release it months ahead of the album. All of a sudden the record drops, and the single has lost steam and no longer really fits...

Maybe that's just the past record label guy in me. I dunno... I do know this. They have enough material where they should be dropping a single every few months, even if that track doesn't make the record. Do this and a) you are releasing the song where it might never see the light of day, b) you are keeping yourself fresh and in the spotlight, and c) the song is timely now where it might be old and off topic by the time the record is released.

6. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]

There's nothing better than an album, I agree. But, I'm still convinced "Invisible" was a victim of uncertainty. I think it was meant to be an album track, and then the album got delayed and it became a redundant single. I could be dead wrong, that's just my thought... A bad thing? Not for us fans... an intermittent single. I'm thinking it's very likely the same might happen with "The Little Things" if they release it months ahead of the album. All of a sudden the record drops, and the single has lost steam and no longer really fits...

Maybe that's just the past record label guy in me. I dunno... I do know this. They have enough material where they should be dropping a single every few months, even if that track doesn't make the record. Do this and a) you are releasing the song where it might never see the light of day, b) you are keeping yourself fresh and in the spotlight, and c) the song is timely now where it might be old and off topic by the time the record is released.

A mix of both would be perfect. Like you said, keeping it fresh by releasing singles, even if the tracks end up cut from the album, and then releasing an entire album later, post-tour or something. Plus, that adds up to more songs overall.

I think you're right about Invisible. I remember Bono saying it was supposed to be on the "next album" (SOI) but I can't remember where I saw that...
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:I think a good balance would be to release songs individually that they think maybe wouldn't work on the current project then release an album of completely new songs at the end of whatever period it time it takes. 3-5 years in the case of u2 so we could be getting 3,4,5 tracks a year to keep things ticking over keep us happy and then we'd have another 10-12 completely new songs on a album to enjoy. That I'd be delighted with as we'd get more material in general and not lose the experience of listening to an album.
    This would work

8. I'm in the same boat. I'm always baffled when I ask people my age about albums and they're always like 'oh uh I dunno much about their albums, I just kind of listen to the songs...'

But, like... the records are HOW THE SONGS FIT! I think records are tremendously important. I'm totally in favour of non-album singles and EPs, and I think U2 should do more of that, simply because their albums take so long, but an cohesive album is a crucially important thing...
  9. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]

I'm in the same boat. I'm always baffled when I ask people my age about albums and they're always like 'oh uh I dunno much about their albums, I just kind of listen to the songs...'

But, like... the records are HOW THE SONGS FIT! I think records are tremendously important. I'm totally in favour of non-album singles and EPs, and I think U2 should do more of that, simply because their albums take so long, but an cohesive album is a crucially important thing...
    Exactly. I've encouraged some people my age to listen to whole albums, in order, but there never is any motivation to do it now that songs are a click away.
  10. Originally posted by thefly108:[..]
    Exactly. I've encouraged some people my age to listen to whole albums, in order, but there never is any motivation to do it now that songs are a click away.
    And that was really the point I was trying to make about the Tedder interview. I wasn't pointing fingers. I just sense it and see it today... i have 2 kids (probably most of your ages. ) and I've seen smells like teen spirit first hand.

My daughter is developing a love for the long play now, but it wasnt always like that. Always been flavor of the week...
  11. I just would like to hear a creative, from the heart album. The way it gets produced can hold back or push them to do just that. SOI is quite from the heart.