1. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Lights Of Home -which is the most interesting from the SOS pack to me- is from SOE

I don't give a damn about SFS in any version, it bores me to death. Strongly disagree on EBW though, to me the album version with electric guitars is the best version of the song.
    It's all just one big blur now.

I think EBW is masked by the album version. Drums sound electric, the strummed guitar too muted, the vocal too strained. It detracts from the song for me whereas the solo piano live performance was overly bare. This one finds a middles ground but nothing trumps the Glasgow performance.
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    It's all just one big blur now.

I think EBW is masked by the album version. Drums sound electric, the strummed guitar too muted, the vocal too strained. It detracts from the song for me whereas the solo piano live performance was overly bare. This one finds a middles ground but nothing trumps the Glasgow performance.
    Yeah the EMA performance is absolutely gorgeous, but I still miss some of the electricity from the album version. All fair points though.
  3. I kinda feel that Every Breaking Wave is like the version of With or Without You that they binned (before Gavin Friday made it interesting and resurrected it). As in, it's a song that SHOULD be good, but the end result is just kind of mid.

The EMA performance was really good and had a ton of drama, but the song just isn't super "listenable" to me. There's no reason to go back to it.

I say it all the time but I still think the half-finished version they performed on the 360 tour was when the song peaked. I'm not even saying that THAT version should've been the "final" one or whatever. Maybe it never should've been finished.

It just strikes me as a song that U2 either wanted to or thought was going to be a "big" song, but it kind of just...isn't.
  4. ....
  5. So 9 years on since this dropped I gave it a whirl front to back this morning for the first time in years. It's not terrible just all a bit meh.
  6. What are the odds they play Volcano in Vegas as a nod to the volcano show at the Mirage?
  7. In the Top 3 U2 records!!
  8. the best thing about mediocre albums is that we still get a tour
  9. Give SOE also a turn and then you suddenly think SOI is brilliant
  10. There are good songs on both SOI and SOE. If they would have taken the best off each album for one songs album it would have been pretty good:

The Miracle
    Iris
    Song for Someone
    Cedarwood Road
    Raised by Wolves
    Sleep Like A Baby Tonight
    California
    Every Breaking Wave
    The Crystal Ballroom
    Lights of Home
    Red Flag Day
    LandLady