1. I know it's not on the survey, but Achtung Baby's cover will always be my favourite - the music isn't too shabby either!
  2. Originally posted by LikeASong:Honestly, all their studio pre-Zoo photos are pretty similar, specially those between '84 and '88. A (too) serious band against amazing natural backgrounds, and many times in B/W. I know I'm not bringing up anything new as Bono himself has said that plently of times but it's really relevant to this topic. And that's why The Joshua Tree cover (jus tthe cover, nothing to do with the album obviously) never actually caught my attention - they have plenty of better covers from that same decade.

The ONLY covers that deviates from this, I feel, are Boy and War. Instead of a serious band in front of a natural or otherwise live setting, these covers just have young Peter Rowan. His "youthful" appearance captures the musical and lyrical themes of Boy so perfectly I can be interpreted in multiple ways depending on who sees it. Same thing with War, only now it's more angry and intense, like the album itself. You can view it as a boy suffering the trauma of actual war combat or a boy traumatized by the "war" in his dysfunctional family.

TJT cover is iconic, but those images, especially War, says ALOT about their respective albums even before you press play.
  3. War is their most expressive cover ....... ever.

4. Very true.

I voted for The Unforgettable Fire only because I've always loved that sepia picture of Moydrum Castle. Just an epic picture that has nothing to do with the album really. That album is probably more timeless in terms of its content than any of their other 80s albums too. But maybe that's just how I'm feeling at the moment.

5. The War cover is the first U2 cover that I ever saw and in definitely had an impact on me.

As for Boy, this is the cover I grew up with:
  6. As great (or crummy in one or two cases) as the 1980's album covers are, the best for me is:

7. An epic cover, indeed. Captures U2's live prowess just by the image of Bono holding the flag (as well as capture the atmosphere of the whole Red Rocks performance/War Tour).
  8. mmm for me Rattle and Hum

But is true that War cover is great . And i think is great because Boy cover exists . They have more sense together
  9. Originally posted by patou2:But is true that War cover is great . And i think is great because Boy cover exists . They have more sense together

Totally agree. The War cover wouldn't be so iconic without that conection with the Boy one.
  10. You think if they were to name their final album "Man" they should recreate the cover using Peter Rowen as he is now?