1. I'll be reviewing this album in the next couple of days. I haven't forgotten but want to make some actual time for it when I can think properly.
  2. No worries Drew. Andrew, where's your review? You chose it!

Pato is up next, just waiting for a response from him but he hasn't been active recently. If he doesn't get back soon, we'll skip to Drew and Pato can go afterwards.
  3. Review coming tonight. Been so busy not had a moment to take the time to really listen properly.
  4. Pato's choice coming tonight too
  5. Originally posted by iTim:No worries Drew. Andrew, where's your review? You chose it!

Pato is up next, just waiting for a response from him but he hasn't been active recently. If he doesn't get back soon, we'll skip to Drew and Pato can go afterwards.

i'll write mine up tomorrow, studying for a test atm
  6. I have been... troubled, so to speak, but I hope to be able to listen to new music again shortly, so my review should be coming in the upcoming days, hopefully sooner than later.
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:I have been... troubled, so to speak, but I hope to be able to listen to new music again shortly, so my review should be coming in the upcoming days, hopefully sooner than later.

Listening Review later tonight. Liking it so far (I'm an indie-rock devotee as you might know)
  8. Ball Park Music - Puddinghead

1. She Only Loves Me When I'm There - nice synth+voice intro (Radiohead's Everything In Its Right Place?), but when the song lifts off it gets effin' good! Love the doubled vocals and the distorted bass+keen, not too keen on the chorus' falsetto though. But it will come. Love it so far. You know I love saying what a song sounds similar to, and this sounds like Mika singing along to something off the Black Keys' El Camino remixed by Kodaline. Or something.
    2. Next Life Already - funny little fast and... slightly insipid piece.
    3. A Good Life Is The Best Revenge - the title obviously reminds me of R.E.M. and their Living Well Is The Best Revenge, and even though the song doesn't have a thing to do, that's already biasing me. I like this one too overall. A little The Strokes feeling? Possibly. I like the change in rhythm pattern in the chorus a lot. The low-fi outtro wasn't neccesary haha
    4. Teenager Pie - I'm a sucker for slow songs as well, Tim, but this one didn't really catch me on first listen It reminds me of something I can't put my finger on, and I become pretty angry when that happens actually. Damn. It rings a strong bell but I can't say where what or who is coming to mind. DAMN!!
    5. Tripping The Light Fantastic - this one took a while to take off but when it did... Wow! Not too keen on the trippinthelitefan-tash-tick electro bit before the chorus, but they work better at the end of the song. Totally agree with Tim on the Radiohead feeling at 1:51, the vocals and guitar chords, strumming and tone are to-tal-ly Radiohead-ish.
    6. Cocaine Lion - I don't feel like anything today... We've all felt this sometime (or too often, haha). This one ain't brilliant, but it's enjoyable. If you're gonna have just guitar and voice playing alone for over one minute, the lyrics 'd better be brilliant - which is obviously not the case I like the metaphor between a cocaine shot (is that the word?) and the song crescendo, though. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it...
    7. Everything Is Shit Except My Friendship With You - Larry Mullen's drum machine would get along with this song's one well I feel. Not liking it too much, although I appreciate the second half a little better.
    8. Struggle Street - The Doors-like organ - that's always welcome Oh God, oh men, here I am on Struggle St once again!!, how they turn such a sad thought into a happy sounding poppy song is beyond my understanding. But they manage to do so. Kudos! This one is going straight to favs.
    9. Error Playin' - lovely bluesy guitar start to an otherwise forgettable song for me. I love the instrumental work but the vocals just don't do it for me.
    10. Polly Screw My Head Back On - 80s videogame theme song? Too poppy for me, but it's a nice filler (if such thing exists, lol). As it evolves, it somehow has a Beatles feel - don't ask I might even like it.
    11. Girls From High School - oh, wait, they do have acoustic guitars as well! What a nice surprise xD This one sounds great. Nice mixing of instrument and the vocal harmonies during the verses and choruses are just brilliant! Lyrics might be a lil subpar but that's a constant with this album so it doesn't bother me much.

Top songs:
    1 - Struggle Street
    2 - She Only Loves Me When I'm There
    3 - Trippin' The Light Fantastic

Summary
    They're a young band, aren't they? That comes across specially in the naïve (I refuse to call them "bad" because they really aren't) lyrics, but it's also a good thing since they mix a lot of energy with lots of interesting references and influences. I'll be keeping an eye on this guys, thanks Andrew for exposing them to light
  9. Yup they are still pretty young, Sam (the lead singer) turned 19 last week. I remember the 1st time i saw them a few years ago he mentioned how they all had to wear wrist bands at the venue because they were under the legal drinking age haha.

And there's plenty of acoustic guitar on their earlier albums
    this is one of their biggest songs so far
  10. Puddinghead by Ball Park Music

1. She Only Loves Me When I'm There – Nice way to kick the album off and gives some hints for what is to come. This was the lead single for the album, good choice I think.
    2. Next Life Already – fun song, something a little different to most of their other work.
    3. A Good Life Is The Best Revenge – one of my favourites on the album, love the chorus as well as the “and I know that I’ll never get you back” I think this song is aimed at an ex? Agree that the extended outro is a waste of time and not needed. I skip straight to song 4 once the outro starts.
    4. Teenager Pie – didn’t like this one at 1st, but it has grown on me over time, a few of their slower songs are like this for me.
    5. Tripping The Light Fantastic – this grabbed me from the 1st listen, I went to the music store, bought the this album and started listening to it on the drive home. As I pulled into my driveway this song started. It had me so intrigued I stayed in my car to let the song finish One of the best on the album. “I got my mojo back, I don’t know where it went. But now I feel good, I feel 100%” is great as the opening line.
    6. Cocaine Lion – really like this song too, lots of Zoology references I think it’s definitely a PG-13 version way of talking about Cocaine Lines. The band have a few songs like this where the 1st half of the song is a bit ‘meh’ but then the 2nd half kicks it up a gear and finishes really strong.
    7. Everything Is Shit Except My Friendship With You – Sam said this is meant to be about waking up next to the person you love and being thankful for them being there. Another song where the 2nd half eclipses the 1st. Love the Sir Isaac Newton reference with “Fruit falls on my head, and I don’t discover anything.”
    8. Struggle Street – My favourite on the album, definitely the highlight for we, really like how the 2nd verse comes in with a lot of punch and grit. Reminded me of The Doors too, love the rocking ending. Best played really really loud!!!
    9. Error Playin' – its ok, I skip it most time though, feels like it never takes off.
    10. Polly Screw My Head Back On – another one which has grown on me over time, really like it now. The guitar effects in the intro and chorus is what does it for me.
    11. Girls From High School – solid ending to the band’s 3rd album.

Overall i was very pleased with the bands 3rd offering, it didn't disappoint. Would definitely recommend listening to their earlier two albums, the 1st one in particular is great.

Top 3:
    1. Struggle Street
    2. Tripping the Light Fantastic
    3. A Good Life is the Best Revenge

Here's a little treat they closed shows with on their last tour

Enjoy
  11. Apologies for being a little later than I anticipated, but hey, we got a few more reviews in

So, Pato's choice.

Transformer - Lou Reed

Track listing:

1. Vicious
    2. Andy's Chest
    3. Perfect Day
    4. Hangin' 'Round
    5. Walk on the Wild Side
    6. Make Up
    7. Satellite of Love
    8. Wagon Wheel
    9. New York Telephone Conversation
    10. I'm So Free
    11. Goodnight Ladies

Available everywhere.

And a word or two from Pato himself:

"I choose it because this is a singer I discovered because of U2( as many others ). I think this is a classic that everyone have to know, so if maybe someone don't know it you have the chance to do it now. It really worth to know and have it .

Since Lou Reed passed away I am very moved listening to Walk on the wild side because a video of his funeral that were a lot of people listening to that song and dancing in his place"
  12. A classic album for sure, I have no doubts that one or two of you could review this without listening to it. Pato was in two minds with his choice. I think he perhaps felt he had to pick something unknown as we had all appeared to do. But I explained to him that this topic is less "Bands/Artists you should know" and more about highlighting one of your favourite albums for a week (or ten days). I haven't listened to this for quite some time and I haven't listened to it nearly as much as I ought to have done.