Popmart
Legs (4): Leg 1: North America, Leg 2: Europe, Leg 3: North America, Leg 4: Rest Of The World
Shows: 111
  1. Originally posted by ahn1991:The Elevation Tour was by far the strongest tour that can be purely attributed to U2's performances as a group. There was no fancy stage, no alternate personas, no theatrics, no gimmicks whatsoever. Elevation was U2 in its most honest, most genuine form. What I would give to go back in time and attend an Elevation show. Heck, even the crowds at that time were more involved in the show and not glued to their phones.
    I was at the elevation tour 1st night in Glasgow but unfortunately a bit young to remember it. Got the bootleg though, that's how I feel about the elevation tour as well though, they've not been able to top it since, getting on topic with this thread I do wish I had been old enough to attend a Popmart show, some of the songs they played I doubt we'll ever hear live again, I was lucky enough though to hear gone which is maybe my favourite on the pop album, Last Night On Earth is the one I'd ask for sometime in the future.
  2. Originally posted by kezman:[..]
    No mate i totally got the whole irony thing they were doing (unlike alot of Americans who shunned the tour big time),i just dont think the style of Pop suited U2 very well.
    Also get where youre coming from with ATYCLB but that was a tradional rock album and U2 are a rock band.The guys were like late 30's when Pop was done and they seemed a little past it (even if it was tongue in cheek) compared to ZOO TV which connected perfectly with the early 90s.
    I like much of the Pop album,and the tour was good,just no way near the brilliance of other tours,damn even the band themselves seem to have a dislike for it.

Thanks for clarifying.

And fair enough point about U2 in their late 30s maybe taking the irony and "let's dress up in costumes and as the Village People in music videos" shtick too far on PopMart, compared to Zoo TV's reinvention at the beginning of 90s.

To be honest, I don't have a good answer for how/where their music should have gone after Pop if I had had my way and they continued in the experimental, dance-y, satirical kind of vein. I just know that in the eternal debate between Pop and ATYCLB, I continue to admire and appreciate the boldness of the music, lyrics, and overall concept of Pop and the accompanying tour a whole lot more - even as I fully get why it didn't go over well with so many and why the band seem so averse to it yet today.

3. Popmart Wembley 1, 20 years ago today... feels like yesterday when I first saw the cocktail stick and olive sticking out of the twin towers.
  4. Wish I could of seen Popmart in Melbourne but was only 3
  5. My first U2 gig in the UK. Great times: Propaganda tickets, fanzines, cassette bootlegs and real queues.
  6. PopMart in italy has been their greatest tour.speaking in number of person attending the show.
    As reported by the newspapers at that time we had the largest crowd.about 150,000 People
    And Bono Said : " the most beautiful night of My life"
  7. 20th anniversary of night 2... which I remember being more relaxed and the crowd were less crazy.
  8. I was quit drunk, Rotterdam 1 '97, so unfortunately I can not remember a lot of this concert, it rained quit heavy, but I sat on the stand and the Kuip was shaking a lot.
  9. Originally posted by ferrari:I was quit drunk, Rotterdam 1 '97, so unfortunately I can not remember a lot of this concert, it rained quit heavy, but I sat on the stand and the Kuip was shaking a lot.
    That's why I don't drink at concerts