1. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    I just think they need to go jam and have a good time rather than over think and over analyze everything. When the released TUF it was a complete change of direction from 1st 3 records, likewise with AB... But they did it, and they didn't worry. I think today's U2 would be hesitant and unsure of releasing both of these records today...

They need to loosen up and just do it. The people who are on board and have been on board are gonna stay on board with them... the one's they are worried about recruiting have an attention span from now until their next click on spotify anyway... so, what's the worry?

My Wednesday soapbox. Stepping down now.
    I agree they shouldn't over analyze everything and be worried but what do you think the results would be? We'll never know so it's just an opinion I'm asking about. I'm guessing greater quantity of output is what we'd get but do you think it would stack up to HTDAAB, NLOTH or SOI? They're not everyone's favourite albums as it is but would releasing more lead to weaker quality or just a wider variation of sounds etc?
  2. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    I agree they shouldn't over analyze everything and be worried but what do you think the results would be? We'll never know so it's just an opinion I'm asking about. I'm guessing greater quantity of output is what we'd get but do you think it would stack up to HTDAAB, NLOTH or SOI? They're not everyone's favourite albums as it is but would releasing more lead to weaker quality or just a wider variation of sounds etc?
    I think they are at a point now where if they are happy with it, put it out and let it go... If the songs are flowing release 2 records... who cares? Every record isn't going to please everyone... that's evident in this forum. October and NLOTH are considered shite by most here, I find them to be diamonds in the rough. Thing is, everyone here bought them both, right? (Not to mention we keep buying the regurgitated 1st and 2nd re-issues) So, just do it. Get it out there. You've already established your legacy. Nobody cares about charts or #1 records anymore. They are fading statistics and a week after the record comes out it's ancient history already in this day and age. Make records for you and your fans, and if you must, play the hits live to appease the rest...

See what you did. You made me get back on the soapbox.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    Do you think if they just released more albums we would maybe have ones that are better than what they have brought out but also ones worse or do you think overall we'd be looking at the same sort of quality of output just in greater quantities?
    I think we would have more Zooropas. That would be a good thing.

I believe the quality is in there but the boys just over analyse it and bastardise it to a point beyond recognition.

Write and release. You are U2. Make the music you want to make, don't write what you think the masses want.
  4. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]
    I think we would have more Zooropas. That would be a good thing.

I believe the quality is in there but the boys just over analyse it and bastardise it to a point beyond recognition.

Write and release. You are U2. Make the music you want to make, don't write what you think the masses want.
    ^ Yes. This. + infinity.

You don't need Ryan Tedder or Danger Mouse to make you better.
  5. I'll forgive ATYCLB because I understand the need the band felt to recover after Pop. But since then I think we've had theee albums of missed opportunities (especially NLOTH and SOI). No Line has the basis of a stunning album but it never made it out of the studio. Same with SOI. Had they got that out in the form I think it should have taken then SOE would have been more than ready to drop in late 2015 or early 2016.

It grinds my gears. They get a lot of forgovenesss for their back catalogue and their live shows but they are just failing at what matters, making great music.
  6. Originally posted by germcevoy:I'll forgive ATYCLB because I understand the need the band felt to recover after Pop. But since then I think we've had theee albums of missed opportunities (especially NLOTH and SOI). No Line has the basis of a stunning album but it never made it out of the studio. Same with SOI. Had they got that out in the form I think it should have taken then SOE would have been more than ready to drop in late 2015 or early 2016.

It grinds my gears. They get a lot of forgovenesss for their back catalogue and their live shows but they are just failing at what matters, making great music.
    Agreed... If they would have just let these records flow naturally instead of worry about production or bringing in too much outside advice, imagine where they could have gone...
  7. I agree with a lot both of you are saying, I like SOI and HTDAAB not a huge fan of NLOTH but love ATYCLB however zooropa includes some of my favourite songs and I prefer it to the first 3 I mentioned. I also feel we'd get more experimental albums released maybe some good, some not so good but I think we'd always get at least 4 or 5 good songs an album. So yeah I pretty much agree really I'd prefer they worried less and released more.
  8. Here's the U2 I want back

"A lot of the fans were wondering why you made the decision not play some of the stuff from the earlier albums"

"We didn't want to... This is where we're at. I'm into. We're into it. And I really think that the real U2 fans that have been around, they'll be into it. We might lose some of the pop kids, but... we don't need them"
  9. Interesting, I didn't much care for NLOTH when it was first issued... However, the 360 tour and the arrangement of the songs, when played live, ignited my interest. I rarely ever listen to the album, however, I greatly enjoy the live versions of the songs (from recordings of the tour, or from bootlegs).

Whether stage-manship, or whatever, it was very interesting to hear B suggest they have just now appreciated the RHMT arrangement that has been played on the JT30 tour. Man, wouldn't it be cool to have at least one show where the horns were live?
  10. Originally posted by ChicagoU2Fan:Interesting, I didn't much care for NLOTH when it was first issued... However, the 360 tour and the arrangement of the songs, when played live, ignited my interest. I rarely ever listen to the album, however, I greatly enjoy the live versions of the songs (from recordings of the tour, or from bootlegs).

Whether stage-manship, or whatever, it was very interesting to hear B suggest they have just now appreciated the RHMT arrangement that has been played on the JT30 tour. Man, wouldn't it be cool to have at least one show where the horns were live?
    The songs are simpler and more raw when on tour. They strip away the bullshit that they later on during studio post production.

Such a shame. These are albums and years that the band will never get back.
  11. Originally posted by ChicagoU2Fan:Interesting, I didn't much care for NLOTH when it was first issued... However, the 360 tour and the arrangement of the songs, when played live, ignited my interest. I rarely ever listen to the album, however, I greatly enjoy the live versions of the songs (from recordings of the tour, or from bootlegs).

Same as me, but i like that album now. But not innocence. Some of the songs are good live but a Very weak offering in my opinion. I don't care for rhmt the way they are playing it with piano and horns. But bono sings it great.
  12. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:Here's the U2 I want back

[YouTube Video]

"A lot of the fans were wondering why you made the decision not play some of the stuff from the earlier albums"

"We didn't want to... This is where we're at. I'm into. We're into it. And I really think that the real U2 fans that have been around, they'll be into it. We might lose some of the pop kids, but... we don't need them"
    class and relevance at it's best