1. Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Yes, of all the rock stars in the world, U2 sold their souls. Sounds about right. That explains all the God stuff, right? Yeah.
  2. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Yes, of all the rock stars in the world, U2 sold their souls. Sounds about right. That explains all the God stuff, right? Yeah.
    And if that's the case, all of those other churches and preachers who have used U2 lyrics as part of their messages must all be serving Satan as well. Which means, this ministry must be the only true church for salvation. Hmmm.
  3. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Yes, of all the rock stars in the world, U2 sold their souls. Sounds about right. That explains all the God stuff, right? Yeah.
    Some video I saw (I couldn't watch it because it was so stupidly ridiculous) claimed that a live version of "40" backmasked said "Hail Satan"

4. As a Christian myself - and one who actually favors U2's 90s work as their best - this is laughable. Clearly this production company doesn't really know what to do with parts of the Bible like the Psalms of lament, or with Lamentations, or with Ecclesiastes...desperate crying out to God in the midst of crises and uncertainty over what seems like God's lingering absence during Israel's exile are common themes in the Old Testament, in particular. Clearly, too, whoever made this video doesn't understand satire or irony, and probably also hasn't read Christian writer C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters", the book that Bono referred to to help explain his MacPhisto character.

I could go on but will stop there. U2 At The End of the World should be required reading.
  5. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

As a Christian myself - and one who actually favors U2's 90s work as their best - this is laughable. Clearly this production company doesn't really know what to do with parts of the Bible like the Psalms of lament, or with Lamentations, or with Ecclesiastes...desperate crying out to God in the midst of crises and uncertainty over what seems like God's lingering absence during Israel's exile are common themes in the Old Testament, in particular. Clearly, too, whoever made this video doesn't understand satire or irony, and probably also hasn't read Christian writer C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters", the book that Bono referred to to help explain his MacPhisto character.

I could go on but will stop there. U2 At The End of the World should be required reading.
    +1. You said it.
  6. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

As a Christian myself - and one who actually favors U2's 90s work as their best - this is laughable. Clearly this production company doesn't really know what to do with parts of the Bible like the Psalms of lament, or with Lamentations, or with Ecclesiastes...desperate crying out to God in the midst of crises and uncertainty over what seems like God's lingering absence during Israel's exile are common themes in the Old Testament, in particular. Clearly, too, whoever made this video doesn't understand satire or irony, and probably also hasn't read Christian writer C.S. Lewis' "The Screwtape Letters", the book that Bono referred to to help explain his MacPhisto character.

I have that u2 book, never read it though, what's it about?
  7. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

The Screwtape Letters should be on everybodys to read list.
  8. Read it as soon as possible!

It's written by a music journalist who followed the band on the Zoo TV tour, so basically an insider's perspective on the madness and brilliance of that tour. It's seriously fantastic - my favorite U2 book and maybe even one of my favorite books, period.

A while back some of us attempted to start a U2start "book club" with that book being the first pick...maybe time to give that a try again?
  9. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]

I agree with you totally - as a Christian myself, U2's music (and often their 90s music) is one of the ways I can feel MOST connected with God, and these sorts of fearmongering, accusatory Christians have a tendency to be extremely selective with what they consider 'Godly.' This probably isn't the place to go further, though, so...

You nailed it with your original post