1. Originally posted by stj0691:[..]

If by double standard you mean how the US and English media unfairly report stories on places in the Middle East, specifically Palestine, I agree, if I'm wrong, correct me.

BBC openly admitted that they treat Muslims with greater sensitivity, than Christians. How much have you heard about the churches being burned in Egypt, the Iranian man sentenced to death for becoming a Christan, or the Afghans demanding American troops to be charged for accidently burning Korans well at the same time attacking American troops?
  2. Originally posted by Guenther:[..]

I'm not a tea bag...er partier, but I am pro-gun, pro death penalty, and pro life. I see no contradiction in that.

LOCK AND LOAD!!!

3. I'm not the least bit suprised that Obama has given preferentail treatment to Union thugs over the military, and there familys.
  4. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:[..]

I've never heard much about your countrys subs. I've always assumed they were good though. I'm not sure America is jealous of them. There diesel boats which is fine for a coastal force, but for a true blue-water navy, you really have to go nuclear with subs. If I recall right, you guys were at war, on, and off with Russia for hundreds of years.

Well, I think we pretty much have the best stealth subs in the world, pretty much impossible to detect. At least that's what I've heard.

There was a lot of war in these neighborhoods for hundreds of years until something like 200 years ago when we had our last really big war with Russia (we lost Finland in that war).

I'd say our main enemy was Denmark though.

You know, during what we call Stormaktstiden (usually called Swedish Empire in English, would translate to Great Power-time). We were pretty much twice the size of what we're now. We had Finland, the Baltic states, Prussia, other parts of Germany. We pretty much controlled the Baltic sea. And until just 107 years ago, we had Norway. We've been a great power. Swedish war history is pretty interesting.
  5. Cant really find a good discussion on the virtues of your countrys subs versus my countrys subs. Most sources seem to agree that there the best diesel subs in the world, beating German, Israeli, and Japanese boats. Also, quieter than the older Russian, and Chinese nuclear boats.

On American subs I do know this though. The first Ohio class ballistic misslle sub was allegedly so quiet, that it had to be made louder. Supposedly, sonar operators could actually make out the absence of sound on there screens.
  6. LOL. I was actually reading that, a few seconds ago.

Too be fair, the USNs anti-sub systems have really suffered because of the end of the cold war. Carriers no longer carry a fixed wing ASW squadron, most surface ships no longer deploy with towed array sonar, and the CSGs own subs are genreally detached for special missions. Overall, if we get in a conventional naval fight, with an enemy with decent subs, its going to be a rough time.
  7. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:LOL. I was actually reading that, a few seconds ago.

Too be fair, the USNs anti-sub systems have really suffered because of the end of the cold war. Carriers no longer carry a fixed wing ASW squadron, most surface ships no longer deploy with towed array sonar, and the CSGs own subs are genreally detached for special missions. Overall, if we get in a conventional naval fight, with an enemy with decent subs, its going to be a rough time.

Well, our military has also gone a bit dormant after the end of the cold war. We were probably at a much higher risk than you.
  8. We had the defense of distance. You guys where on the front lines. The KGB, actually violated your territorial waters on multiple ocasions hunting down defectors.
  9. Originally posted by wtshnnfb01:We had the defense of distance. You guys where on the front lines. The KGB, actually violated your territorial waters on multiple ocasions hunting down defectors.

Yeah. This incident was close to turning the Cold War hot. Probably one of the closest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whiskey_on_the_rocks

We've had quite a few incidents. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_submarine_incidents Actually there were reports of a foreign submarine in the Gothenburg peninsula last year. There was a very big naval search. Never found anything. One can only wonder. It feels good to have powerful allies like your country.