1. Originally posted by bpt3:If U2 wanted to bring back the "Two Americas" inspiration for recording the Joshua Tree - and to continue to make strong statements next year in the new era of Trump - imagine Bullet followed by Heartland. With Bullet, continuing the dialogue with Trump on the screen, the conversation between Bono and his younger, idealistic self, ending with the inevitable "run" into the arms of America...and then seguing into the beauty of Heartland. The dark side of America transitioning into the mystique of its landscape...

Maybe I'm just dreaming.
    Good idea, but if 1989 Bono couldn't sing that song, 2017 Bono can't even get to the opening line.
  2. Originally posted by bpt3:If U2 wanted to bring back the "Two Americas" inspiration for recording the Joshua Tree - and to continue to make strong statements next year in the new era of Trump - imagine Bullet followed by Heartland. With Bullet, continuing the dialogue with Trump on the screen, the conversation between Bono and his younger, idealistic self, ending with the inevitable "run" into the arms of America...and then seguing into the beauty of Heartland. The dark side of America transitioning into the mystique of its landscape...

Maybe I'm just dreaming.

This is a great idea putting they two tracks together if they were to do it live then that would be the way. I think Cesar might be right though vocally more than challenging, just wandering if he'd be able to get round it somehow like he did with the unforgettable fire on 360, but doubt they'll go to the efforts of playing it. Great song though, maybe one of there best.
  3. sorry to bump a topic but this summer i was deep into heartland, i listened to it like every day, and will always be my go to song in future times...but yes why no live plays of this song??
  4. The only reason I can think is that singing it every night would've wreaked merry havoc on Bono's voice, which I believe is why they quickly dropped Do You Feel Loved and didn't play Red Hill Mining Town.

Of course, I don't see why they couldn't have played it every so often... even if they did it something like once every four or five Lovetown shows, that'd still give us something like ten or so performances to go back to.
  5. I just love the dreamy feel of the song. It's pretty high in vocal range, so i don't think the band is going to play it.
    But man, i'd love to hear Edge play this live.............
  6. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:The only reason I can think is that singing it every night would've wreaked merry havoc on Bono's voice, which I believe is why they quickly dropped Do You Feel Loved and didn't play Red Hill Mining Town.

Of course, I don't see why they couldn't have played it every so often... even if they did it something like once every four or five Lovetown shows, that'd still give us something like ten or so performances to go back to.
    Agree partially, but isn't this what key changes are for? For example, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For is insanely high on the album, but in concert going down a half or full step solves the problem for Bono's voice.

Of course, I Still Haven't Found became a big hit and I'm sure that's why they continue to play it, too. So are there other reasons for not playing a song like Heartland besides its high vocal delivery in the chorus and it not being a radio staple?
  7. Yeah I would say its partly because of the vocals and partly because of the overall ambience of the recorded track which would perhaps be a bit difficult to recreate and pull off successfully in your typical U2 live setting in front of xx,xxx number of people and for it still to have the same feel about it.

Imho, I think sometimes some of these little bits of magic are probably best left as they are.

That said, like other people have said I'd loved to have heard it played live.
  8. The second best vocals interpretation in studio recordings by Bono, right after Where The Streets Have No Name.
  9. You're on the money.

I'd say Pride, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses and Stay are up there too completing the 5 top vocal deliveries (in studio at least).
  10. Since we've been talking about Heartland a lot on the 'underrated songs' topic and I didn't want to derail that much more than I already have by talking about my thoughts on Rattle and Hum songs, I just wanted to bump this to share a thought on Heartland being played live.

Obviously, the song would stress Bono's voice if they played it like the album, but it'd be a piece of cake to change the key or to adjust the 'shout-singing' into more 'singy-singing' like they did for RHMT. Bono should croon this one a little more, lower, like the beginning of the song, and then belt, lower rather than yell like on the album, the higher parts. Honestly something that would work both with current Bono's voice and the style of the song is something a little lower, a little more soul... Bono should, basically, sing Heartland by trying to be Elvis, and it'd sound brilliant.
  11. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:Since we've been talking about Heartland a lot on the 'underrated songs' topic and I didn't want to derail that much more than I already have by talking about my thoughts on Rattle and Hum songs, I just wanted to bump this to share a thought on Heartland being played live.

Obviously, the song would stress Bono's voice if they played it like the album, but it'd be a piece of cake to change the key or to adjust the 'shout-singing' into more 'singy-singing' like they did for RHMT. Bono should croon this one a little more, lower, like the beginning of the song, and then belt, lower rather than yell like on the album, the higher parts. Honestly something that would work both with current Bono's voice and the style of the song is something a little lower, a little more soul... Bono should, basically, sing Heartland by trying to be Elvis, and it'd sound brilliant.
    I agree with a key change and some adjustments in the vocal this could be pulled off. I really had hope it would get played on this tour when the Edge mentioned on the Facebook q&a. It had been spoke about above playing this after Bullet and I thought that was great idea but following what we've heard this tour how good would it be after exit. Another one of my not going to happen scenarios though I think.
  12. I don't see them ever trying it, but that's definitely a way for them to do it if they were to (singing it in a lower register like Elvis). Hell, it might even sound rad as a piano/vocal piece a la October.