1. residents kicking up a big fuss again over the round the clock dismantling of the stage. Gothenburg gig hangs in the balance as the residents have blockaded the stadium entrances restricting the movement of the trucks used to transport the gear from city to city
  2. Originally posted by germcevoy:residents kicking up a big fuss again over the round the clock dismantling of the stage. Gothenburg gig hangs in the balance as the residents have blockaded the stadium entrances restricting the movement of the trucks used to transport the gear from city to city

Blown up story again, imho. All they need for Gothenburg is the sound system, lights and screens. And I guess those were on the 54 trucks that left Croke this morning.
  3. Originally posted by yeah:[..]

Blown up story again, imho. All they need for Gothenburg is the sound system, lights and screens. And I guess those were on the 54 trucks that left Croke this morning.

would make sense to get them out first. Here's hoping for Lansdowne for future gigs

4. Possible after all this fuss. Would the Claw fit in the O2?

5. The claw would fit over the top of the whole building and it only seats 13 thousand or so

6. I've never been to Lansdowne - but wouldn't it be the same problem there? Also residential area, I think and if I remember right, the Popmart shows there were only allowed after several court decisions...
  7. Hi everyone, I wrote a review of the Friday gig for my local paper, and I just thought Id share i with you. Hope ya like

The Boys are Back in Town

Last weekend, U2 fan Dermott Ferry attended the first of three gigs the band performed at Croke Park, as part of their worldwide 360 tour.

‘’Ask every U2 fan where the best place is to see our band play live, and they will tell you that it is right here in Dublin.’’
    So proclaimed Bono, with a gleeful smile, as the band took the stage for the first of three Croker gigs that had brought fans from far and wide to the Irish capital.
    Ever since a fifteen hour stint in a queue outside Cool Discs to buy a ticket, this had been the day I had been waiting for for a long time.
    After a flight from Eglington airport, I arrived in Dublin to a city alive with the buzz resembling an Ireland world cup game. For many, and for me personally, this was of greater importance.
    I had first seen U2 play live in June 2005 during the Vertigo Tour, and leaving that night I vowed to see the band again, as a U2 live show is an amazing spectacle.
    Four years had come and gone, and on the back of their new album No Line on the Horizon, U2 had hit the road again for another mega world tour.
    Opening the tour in Barcelona’s Nou Camp stadium, U2 had already performed in the likes of Paris, Milan, and Amsterdam, gigs described by Bono as ‘’rehearsals for Croke Park.’’
    Throughout the day, many U2 fans took the opportunity to pay a visit to the likes of Hannover Quay, the bands recording studio, and to the Clarence Hotel owned by Bono and The Edge.
    The excitement was growing; as many fans began the jaunt up to Croke Park hours before the band were due on stage.
    I arrived inside Croke Park around 5pm, to be met by the biggest stage I will probably ever see. U2 have a history of eccentric stage production, from the likes of Zoo TV to the Popmart Tour, but the size of ‘The Claw’, really has to be seen to be believed.
    The 164 foot spectacle is transported by 120 trucks, takes up to a week to build, and cost in the region of £100 million. U2 don’t play things by half.
    In the build up to the tour, questions were beginning to be asked of U2. Rumours of conflict in the camp and mixed reviews of No Line had people wondering if the band were indeed stuck in a moment they couldn’t get out of. We were about to find out.
    After support from Damien Dempsey and the terrible Glasvegas, it was only a matter of when the hometown heroes would hit the stage.
    After an agonising wait, out stepped Larry Mullen Jr. The man who started all this madness 33 years ago by posting a message on a school bulletin board, stating he wanted to start a band, immediately tore into the electric opening of ‘’Breathe.’’
    The Edge and Adam Clayton were next, and the roar reached its climax as Bono joined them. From the word go, all the doubts disappeared in an instant. This was going to be a special night.
    Following a few songs from their latest album, including the crowd pleasing ‘’Get on Your Boots’’, U2 dipped into their classic back catalogue and delivered great performances of the likes of ‘’Beautiful Day’’, ‘’Desire’’, and arguably their crowning achievement, ‘’One.’’
    This was followed by my personal highlight of the evening, an electric performance of ‘’Until the End of the World.’’
    This was what a live performance was all about. ‘’In the words of our friends The Corrs, we are so young..... as a nation’’, stated Bono. The band was giving it everything they had, and were clearly delighted to be back on their home soil.
    As the evening grew darker, ‘’The Claw’’ was used to full effect. A series of stunning light shows and visual effects worked wonders through performances of the terrific ‘’Unforgettable Fire’’, and ‘’City of Blinding Lights.’’
    The rocking ‘’Vertigo’’ came next, followed by a dance remix of ‘’I’ll Go Crazy If I Don’t Go Crazy Tonight.’’ For a band approaching their fifties, they were still content with running around the stage like excited teenagers, as the home following screamed their approval.
    It wouldn’t be a U2 show without some political input, and following famous anthems ‘’Sunday Bloody Sunday’’ and ‘’Pride’’, a speech from Bishop Desmond Tutu on the giant stage screen was the opener for live favourite ‘’Where the Streets Have No Name.’’
    The song closed with a snippet of ‘’40’’, with the whole crowd singing as one.
    The closing of the show was as intimate as they come. ‘’Ultraviolet’’, was followed by the classic ‘’With or Without You’’ as the band and fans were given a well earned rest after two hours of jumping and shouting as one.
    ‘’Moment of Surrender’’ closed the show, with Bono thanking the fans for coming out to see them, saying ‘’it feels great to be home.’’
    All in all, it was a memorable evening. U2 remain the best in the business, and if this show is anything to go by, they won’t be hanging up their Boots anytime soon. I walked away with a smile on my face. A Beautiful Day indeed.

8. Lansdowne is due ti finish next March but the residents there are just as big a pain in the Arse !! Wonder what are the chances of seeing them there next summer

9. Originally posted by gerryhickey:[..]

Lansdowne is due ti finish next March but the residents there are just as big a pain in the Arse !! Wonder what are the chances of seeing them there next summer

true that. They kicked up a big fuss over Popmart. I plan on heading to Milan anyway if they are back there. 6.50 a pint is worth missing
  10. Originally posted by germcevoy:[..]

true that. They kicked up a big fuss over Popmart. I plan on heading to Milan anyway if they are back there. 6.50 a pint is worth missing

Yeah Temple Bar is savage expensive . Must have had about 80 pints since friday so do the maths . Worth every penny though . Incredible weekend .

11. because it's getting so frigging hot inside, you'll fight for every little breeze that's floating by above your head (if all the smokers around you let that happen, that is).

I was really having trouble with the lack of oxygen in amsterdam, I dearly hope they won't close the roof in gelsenkirchen
  12. Originally posted by germcevoy:residents kicking up a big fuss again over the round the clock dismantling of the stage. Gothenburg gig hangs in the balance as the residents have blockaded the stadium entrances restricting the movement of the trucks used to transport the gear from city to city

They have more than one stage set up anyway