1. Brie Larson has won Best Actress for "Room".

Leonardo DiCaprio has won Best Actor for "The Revenant".

"Spotlight" has won Best Picture! Congratulatons!
  2. LEO FINALLY!!!!
  3. sigh leonaro di caprio won because of a pr campaign not because of his acting, what a disappointment
  4. Ignoring the fact the Academy owes Leo at least 3 Oscars anyways, I think his acting was definitely Oscar worthy in The Revenant. It also helps that he wasn't facing much competition this year.
  5. the academy owes them as much as u2 owe us
  6. According to the subscription gift topic, it seems that U2 owes us a lot nowadays
  7. I completely agree. I think his work in Django deserved an Oscar or even Wolf. He literally had zero dialogue to deliver in Revenant. Nothing against him, the role just wasn't Oscar worthy. But like you said, purely PR.
  8. I agree with Dylan and Nick. They should have said:
    -"And the Oscar goes to Leonardo DiCaprio for The Revenant around 5 missed previous awards we didn't give him when deserved!"

Still glad for him. I watched The Wolf Of Wall Street last night before the ceremony started and good lord, the guy sure knows how to make you like and hate his character at the same time. Brilliant actor.
  9. Let's be quite honest though. Everyone knows that Rotten Tomato ratings have nothing to do with the Academy Awards. The fact this article bases its entire argument on Rotten Tomato ratings pretty much tosses its validity to the wayside.

Instead, lets use an argument more centered around rational thought. People are saying this is DiCaprio's "pity" Oscar, but they are also saying that he didn't deserve an Oscar for his previous nominations. This is a pretty contradictory argument for the following reasons. Admitting that DiCaprio won a "pity" Oscar, requires the presumption that there is some reason DiCaprio deserves pity to begin with. If you think his past "snubs" were deserved, you have to believe his current win is also deserved. The people who think his snubs were deserved and his current win is though pity aren't following a rational chain of thought.
  10. Also, acting is more than just compelling dialogue. Often times dialogue is a better representation of the writer than the actor or actress. An actor's ability is best displayed when he doesn't have the crutches of dialogue to prop him on a pedestal. An argument could be made that The Revenant was made specifically to highlight Leo's acting ability by presenting him with scenes where he has to carry the entire feel of the movie on the subtleties of his actions, facial expressions, and emotions. That is why he won the Oscar for this film specifically.
  11. Originally posted by ahn1991:Also, acting is more than just compelling dialogue. Often times dialogue is a better representation of the writer than the actor or actress. An actor's ability is best displayed when he doesn't have the crutches of dialogue to prop him on a pedestal. An argument could be made that The Revenant was made specifically to highlight Leo's acting ability by presenting him with scenes where he has to carry the entire feel of the movie on the subtleties of his actions, facial expressions, and emotions. That is why he won the Oscar for this film specifically.
    This.

I kind of compare The Revenant to (the first half of) Cast Away. It can be quite interesting watching an individual struggle alone with his/her thoughts while facing internal/external hardship.