1. NLOTH has a few great songs with quite a bit of staying power. I actually heard Magnificent on the radio a few days ago and it sounded much better than what I had initially set it to be. The only songs I usually listen to from NLOTH are NLOTH and Unknown Caller, but I may add Magnificent back into the mix.
  2. It feels like there's not really a unifying theme running through the record. You can sorta group NLOTH, Fez, WAS and COL together, and get a sense of where they wanted to go I guess. Kind of dark songs, life/struggle with war that kind of territory... But then they put GOYB, Crazy, Stand Up and Breathe on there too, and it just doesn't jell together.

I also think they wanted to be more experimental with this album, but the songs just sound too safe and overly produced.
  3. Originally posted by blink:It feels like there's not really a unifying theme running through the record. You can sorta group NLOTH, Fez, WAS and COL together, and get a sense of where they wanted to go I guess. Kind of dark songs, life/struggle with war that kind of territory... But then they put GOYB, Crazy, Stand Up and Breathe on there too, and it just doesn't jell together.

I also think they wanted to be more experimental with this album, but the songs just sound too safe and overly produced.

U2 simply took what was working for other artists and put their own twist on it. To me, the defining U2 aspect of this album is the lyrical content. Much of the musical style has that U2 feel to it, but it's more like "U2's take on a specific style." The varying producers on the album most likely had a hand in that. So in that sense, it's fair to say that this album sounds more "produced" than others. But I don't think it's a bad thing.