1. Okay I'm I don't really like making posts but I just wanted to see if I was being a baby. Okay so I jut took a listen to the new cd and was saddly dissapointed with it, I felt like if they sat down for a couple of more weeks they could of fixed some things. Now iam not talking about all the songs but I'll explain. I feel they could have done so much more with moments it made me kind of mad because the song is so amazon but when they do the chorus it kind I mad me feel a little empty, same with unknown caller. And songs like White As Snow and Magnifcent made me mad at Bono just because the lyrics should have been better , the music to everything was mad so beautiuly but the lyrics and vocal notes just seemed lazy on most songs, it's almost like they took all there time doing the lyrics were all free style.

But I guess I just always have to compare everything they make to where the street has no name. But there will be some good singles flying the radio.
  2. Yup, I am a bit disappointed too.

MoS was underwhelming, I never thought I would actually prefer to hear Mercy on the album (a finished version that is) but I do.

Some of the lyrics really need to be better though, like in Cedars a song which is carried by the vocals/lyrics and he sings about a soldier bringing oranges from a truck.

I was hoping Brian Eno, would bring the same polish he applied to VLV here. But he didn't, so many of the songs have annoying quirks to them, that spoil the experience somewhat (which is a common occurence in much of their post 2000s work).
  3. NOPE
  4. I know Cedars was going so good in imagery intill it kind of got lost in itself after the lazy attempt at a chorus. As a song write who's been writing songs for only about 5 years, I feel if someone put the music to songs like White and Moments in my hands I could write lyrics way better. And I really hate to say that because I mean it's U2, I think it's that they came up with good music and a kick as name for the songs and it all went down hill when they had to make lyrics.
  5. all i'm gonna say is i think some people are listening to these songs the way they imagined them to be or the way they want them to be, accept the songs, you didn't write them. Don't listen to it thinking about how you could have made it better or this chorus should be sung this way because blah blah blah. jesus. I'm not really gonna get into it though. Those who are "disappointed" can whine about in this topic.......i'm not trying to come across as scathing or anything, just some comments like what i mentioned irritate the hell out of me. I couldn't be happier, and it's not because i might be called "a blind fan" but I have really good taste in music(sorry if that comes across as arrogant, oh well) and this album is a work of art, from a music stand point, esp. songs like MOS and Unkown Caller, and Fez. Hell, they all are. I'm ranting so I'm going to stop
  6. After the first listen... yes, I was disappointed.

After the fifth listen... mwahahaha...

7. As well as it's early to tell this is the greatest thing on earth it's also too early to be disappointed. Give it some time, listen it on various locations, through your stereo and through your earphones and after a week or few weeks, I'm sure it will grow a lot.

It's U2, U2 material always grows.
  8. my first impressions were 'good' - i had feelings of
    TUF and the JT, but i have to give it time to grow on me,
    like all the others.
    ALSO the NLOTH 'box' was opened TOO EARLY so there's a
    'spell', 'a whack' and a 'weird' taste on everyone who's heard it now
    !

9. Sorry folks, but although I am a diehard U2 fan from the very start, I am terribly disappointed. No line on the horizon: a symbolic title, because U2 is very much adrift. They forgot the songs! This are 'tunes' made from the head and not from the heart. This is an inferior Brian Eno album sung and played by U2. Eno's influence is far too great and as he has proved with David Byrne in another fiasco, Eno isn't in a very inspired step in his career.

And believe me, until now I followed U2 in each new step they took. U2 rediscovered and renewed themselves several times, but each time it was a succesful adventure and musically they kept producing delicious songs. This time however they fail.

The titlesong is not great but still O.K. 'Magnificent' is a background tune that strongly reminds of Kraftwerk. 'Unknown cellar' has a fine refrain, but the song isn't 'spontaneous' and that was a great quality of most of the former U2 material. Then there is the single: nicely done, but again, it doesn't catch me. Several effects and details, but no great U2 song. And finally, 'Cedars of Lebanon', clearly an Eno sound on which Bono put some phrases. And that's it. All the other songs are bad, really bad. As if Bono is running after the songs but can't catch them; the songs stumble into 4, 5 different directions without deciding what they want to be. This is much much worse than their 'Passengers' album.

High time for U2 to 'reboot' and go back to basics: writing great, not too farfetched songs, straight from their heart and passion.
  10. Originally posted by bertderidder:
    Sorry folks, but although I am a diehard U2 fan from the very start, I am terribly disappointed. No line on the horizon: a symbolic title, because U2 is very much adrift. They forgot the songs! This are 'tunes' made from the head and not from the heart. This is an inferior Brian Eno album sung and played by U2. Eno's influence is far too great and as he has proved with David Byrne in another fiasco, Eno isn't in a very inspired step in his career.

And believe me, until now I followed U2 in each new step they took. U2 rediscovered and renewed themselves several times, but each time it was a succesful adventure and musically they kept producing delicious songs. This time however they fail.

The titlesong is not great but still O.K. 'Magnificent' is a background tune that strongly reminds of Kraftwerk. 'Unknown cellar' has a fine refrain, but the song isn't 'spontaneous' and that was a great quality of most of the former U2 material. Then there is the single: nicely done, but again, it doesn't catch me. Several effects and details, but no great U2 song. And finally, 'Cedars of Lebanon', clearly an Eno sound on which Bono put some phrases. And that's it. All the other songs are bad, really bad. As if Bono is running after the songs but can't catch them; the songs stumble into 4, 5 different directions without deciding what they want to be. This is much much worse than their 'Passengers' album.

High time for U2 to 'reboot' and go back to basics: writing great, not too farfetched songs, straight from their heart and passion.

That's too bad, I guess you should put ATYCLB or HTDAAB back in your stereo It's funny to see so many different opinions, some love the innovation and others dislike it and want to get back to previous albums who were hated by so many because it was too 'standard'.

Maybe it will grow! Give it some time. It's U2.
  11. Have only listened to it a couple of times and have to be honest it is growing on me and I do like it but no were near as good as previous albums.