1. just found this on youtube, don't know if any of you have seen it

2. Originally posted by Macphistfly[..]

Did you not fully read what i wrote, it is a purely 'U2' song. They could throw it in anywhere and it would fit, or they could adjust and tweak certain things to make it fit better with the new sound. Thats the great thing about a classic it can fit in anywhere. And Bono has already declared it 'the best u2 song' and 'it will be on the next album" so we have nothing to worry about.

I read what you wrote. A 'classic' it may be, but classics dont fit just anywhere. Pick any classic U2 song and I'll show you 3 albums it wouldnt fit on.

As far as Bono making declarations.....as of now it may be on the next album. 6 months from now it might not be.....remember when he said HTDAAB was going to be a 'visceral rock record'? It wasnt, but it was probably true at the time....
  3. I was listening to Mercy earlier, and I got thinking. Say it finally appeared on the next album, could the track be as popular as Streets live? The way it starts sends shiver down my spine like Streets, and it has a booming chorus if you ask me.

So does anyone else think Mercy could be a live classic??
  4. No, it lacks the spark, the epical scent that Streets has.
  5. Originally posted by dferryachtungbaby:I was listening to Mercy earlier, and I got thinking. Say it finally appeared on the next album, could the track be as popular as Streets live? The way it starts sends shiver down my spine like Streets, and it has a booming chorus if you ask me.

I think it could be. Or it could have been. I think it's too "new" to become a live classic. But I don't think it could be as great as Streets.
  6. Originally posted by dferryachtungbaby:I was listening to Mercy earlier, and I got thinking. Say it finally appeared on the next album, could the track be as popular as Streets live? The way it starts sends shiver down my spine like Streets, and it has a booming chorus if you ask me.

I do. Love every second of it from beginning to end.
  7. Originally posted by dferryachtungbaby:I was listening to Mercy earlier, and I got thinking. Say it finally appeared on the next album, could the track be as popular as Streets live? The way it starts sends shiver down my spine like Streets, and it has a booming chorus if you ask me.

Dear god no. It's probably one of the worst things I've ever heard from U2. Tedious, contrived and derivative. There's a reason it's in the unreleased pile, and there it should stay. Blech.
  8. Originally posted by dferryachtungbaby:I was listening to Mercy earlier, and I got thinking. Say it finally appeared on the next album, could the track be as popular as Streets live? The way it starts sends shiver down my spine like Streets, and it has a booming chorus if you ask me.

Put simply? Yes!
  9. Originally posted by dferryachtungbaby:I was listening to Mercy earlier, and I got thinking. Say it finally appeared on the next album, could the track be as popular as Streets live? The way it starts sends shiver down my spine like Streets, and it has a booming chorus if you ask me.

Let's not get carried away here.

Streets is transcendant, it is more than just a 'song'

I think a lot of fans who reckon the new songs are better than the classics (eg. MoS>One, Sand this now) simply are tired of listening to the older songs and so think the fresher stuff is better.

You really have to put yourself back in the musical climate of the late 80s to appreciate the song.

No artist so far (and most likely to come) will better convey the sheer majesty and grandeur that is Streets.
  10. Glad this topic got bumped again- but for a different reason.

I recently bought the super-deluxe HTDAAB, with the book and DVD and such...and was flipping through the hardcover and found what appears to be the original lyrics to the "Mercy" chorus...

WE are used to hearing,

Love, is, when I lie...

But the Bomb book suggests that they SHOULD be,

Love, believes me when I lie...

which COMPLETELY revitalizes my absolute love for this song, as I realize that this intention is simply beautiful, masterfully crafted, and a lyric that goes unmatched as far back as Stay and Dirty Day.

Don't know the full story behind Bono's decision to sing "Love is" into the mic in the studio, but I wish he would have stuck to what was scribbled in the book, and we could all be praying to hear THAT as an official song someday. It just hits home so much harder than the original lyric.