1. Sonic Highways is a great release IMO and I love the HBO series ... The album is crisp , loud and clear . I Am A River is brilliant , and I love In The Clear , Feast and the Famine , Subterranean , What Did I Do/ God as my Witness .

The chief with some nice comments on Dave G ...

Noel went on to praise Grohl and hint that he has a free weekend in June that coincides with the 2015 event. "What they say about him is true. He is genuinely one of the nicest men in rock," he said about Grohl. "We've done some big gigs with them down the years. Great lads, all of them."

Pressed on the possibility of seeing him at Glastonbury, Gallagher added: "I'm available that weekend – it's not up to me though, is it?"
    Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/noel-gallagher/81256#hSsTV7y3rIbS7qS3.99
  2. That's the first time I've heard someone claim that Sonic Highways is 'great'.

I'm starting to get to the point where I can't tolerate the whole Grohl being "the nicest man in rock" bullshit. In what way is he?
  3. I think SH is excellent . I Am A River is the best tune this band have released IMO . Its epic . Most reviews I have read have been very favorable , but I rate on how I like an LP , not what other people think ....my only complaint is that there are only 8 tunes .

Why is it 'bullshit' that people feel he is a good guy ? He isnt all caught up in the 'rock star' crap , and he hasn't forgotten where he came from . Many people feel this way . NG doesn't give too many compliments out .

I know 2 different people who met him , walking in the street , and he not only stopped and chatted , but took pics and even looked at the pic after ,and said "lets redo that pic, I look like crap there" .
  4. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:I actually like the album. It's not great but their not known for great albums , more for great songs. Wasting Light was the rare exception. It's just funny in light of Taylor's comments because SOI is miles better than Sonic Highways.

This is true , they are kinda like the Who were back in the day , few great tunes on each album , rest are no so much . Wasting Light I love , but there are 2 or 3 trax that could have been left off .

I agree SOI/Ghost Stories are better .

Ghost Stories is fantastic IMO ....as is SOI .
  5. I never said it was 'bullshit' that people think he is a good guy, I think it is bullshit that people think he is 'the nicest guy in rock'. Because he just isn't. He talks shit about loads of bands all the time and when it really matters - e.g. promoting an album, hence why he came out today and said he appreciates Arctic Monkeys - he'll give a good comment to a band. Wearing in ear monitors isn't rock and roll, you don't need to have a needle coming out your arm to be a rock star (obviously). He puts it across as everyone should do what he says. Then any point he does make about an artist is instantly diminished by the amount of expletives he's spewing. The man has little credibility any more, yet people still adore him for the little things. I'd say he's so caught up in criticising rock band methods that he is caught up in the 'rock star crap' that you're talking about. He's tripping over himself. Why can't he just be modest and dignified like, hmm, let's thinking about a frontman suitable to those two adjectives... Eddie Vedder? Don't act like an ass. Just act like yourself. He has nothing to prove, I don't know why Grohl has to act like he does.

Yeah, but Noel Gallagher is a completely different person. He doesn't get "the nicest bloke in rock" title, obviously because he dishes out criticisms most days in a humorous way. There's a difference. I couldn't care if Grohl stops in the street and takes photos and blah blah, loads of musicians do that. He's given a title he doesn't deserve. It's just because he's at the centre of the musical public eye that he gets accolades for things he says and does.
  6. Like I said , I think Grohl is a good guy, I guess you do not .

EV has actually acted like "an ass" many many times , more like an asshole IMO .

I personally walked out of a PJ show back in 2003 in Long Island . 04.30.03 . EV made many remarks about Bush that I didn't appreciate . Therefore , I walked out , as did thousands of fans . This was a mere 18 months after 09.11.01 .

Mike and Stone took to the airwaves the next day offering their apologies . EV did not .

If not for my friend Chris , who is a Brit , who was flying over from London for the MSG shows in July '03 , I would not have listened to PJ again . Period .

Not sure if you know this , but in 2003 EV dressed up in costume , with a mask of then President Bush , put a lit cig in its mouth , and he then impaled the mask face onto the mic . Thousands walked out . I believe this was during the Denver show , from April 2003 . Nice huh ?

He said numerous times that he wished "death to the VP " in 2005 . Check out his rant during a Canadian show , 09.11.05 . Not once did he offer his condolences to the 3000 + Americans who died 4 years earlier , just rants about Bush and the VP . Disgusting IMO .

IMO thats acting like friggin' asshole .

There are many rock stars who would blow you off in the street . He shows he's down to earth by stopping and chatting .

Chris Martin chatted to me and my oldest daughter in TriBeCa many years ago . He took the time to put his bags down to shake my hand . This made her day , he knew that and winked at me . He didn't have to do that obviously .
  7. Being a nice guy , and cool guy is rock is similar no ?

And as you mentioned , he praised Arctic Monkeys recently . I personally am not familiar with AM music .

Grohl isn't a fake IMO . Neither is Taylor . They speak their minds . I thought it was funny when Taylor said SOI is "like a fart" . Thats his opinion . I have heard Grohl praise bands like Oasis and U2 and the Beatles etc .

He's good in my book .
  8. Both are different: he may be a nice guy outside the public limelight, but he acts like a dick when he's in it.

I quite personally thought the Bush mask was hilarious, but that's coming from a non-American perspective. I didn't know about the vice president thing - that is indeed wrong and does warrant an apology. What I gathered from the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary is that the band are genuinely sorry for that stunt they played. Vedder may never have expressed it but he probably shows some remorse towards his fans.

What we're forgetting here is that Grohl could easily be blowing individuals off in the street at points and other artists may stop in the street and talk to fans when they don't normally do. It depends on the artists' mood I suppose.

He praised Arctic Monkeys but he's been talking a bunch of bollocks in the last month while shamelessly promoting his - in my opinion - incredibly lacklustre album. He bashes modern music like no other and shows very little respect towards it - is that really being the "nicest guy in rock"? He's given a title because he spoonfeeds his fans regurgitated crap, they take it and then he's provided with a title he doesn't deserve. He's a fake, all the expletives and his attitude just oozes "I'm just the ultimate rock n' roll man, man." The rest of the band have modesty and zips on their mouth.

I can admit that Grohl has an excellent music taste, obviously has talent - the first Foo Fighters album is an example of that. It's just his attitude that repulses me and makes me detest him. But that's my opinion, I suppose.
  9. The only albums that the FF have made that come close to being anywhere as average and uninspiring as Sonic Highways are One by One and IYH. Even then I prefer a lot of tunes from those.
  10. I love the series, a bit short but lovely stuff.
    The album is ok, nothing special. Altough at the end of each episode, when they play a new tune, I like it better than when I hear it on my Ipod or whatever.
  11. Originally posted by KieranU2:Both are different: he may be a nice guy outside the public limelight, but he acts like a dick when he's in it.

I quite personally thought the Bush mask was hilarious, but that's coming from a non-American perspective. I didn't know about the vice president thing - that is indeed wrong and does warrant an apology. What I gathered from the Pearl Jam Twenty documentary is that the band are genuinely sorry for that stunt they played. Vedder may never have expressed it but he probably shows some remorse towards his fans.

What we're forgetting here is that Grohl could easily be blowing individuals off in the street at points and other artists may stop in the street and talk to fans when they don't normally do. It depends on the artists' mood I suppose.

He praised Arctic Monkeys but he's been talking a bunch of bollocks in the last month while shamelessly promoting his - in my opinion - incredibly lacklustre album. He bashes modern music like no other and shows very little respect towards it - is that really being the "nicest guy in rock"? He's given a title because he spoonfeeds his fans regurgitated crap, they take it and then he's provided with a title he doesn't deserve. He's a fake, all the expletives and his attitude just oozes "I'm just the ultimate rock n' roll man, man." The rest of the band have modesty and zips on their mouth.

I can admit that Grohl has an excellent music taste, obviously has talent - the first Foo Fighters album is an example of that. It's just his attitude that repulses me and makes me detest him. But that's my opinion, I suppose.
    Kieran , here's the thing , EV has never showed remorse for his disgusting stunts he pulled . Thats my issue with him. The rest of the band did . It was anti - American , at the absolute wrong time . Why not put on a Bin Laden mask ? Not politically correct maybe ? Didn't Bin kill 3000 Americans ?

I'm a fan of Grohl and the Foo's . All good if you are not . I love the new album , it speaks to me and I feel it is very different from some of their past work .

If you do not agree , that's fine as well . Music is subjective .
  12. I understand your fury at that stunt, obviously, as it was a horrible time in American history to do such a thing. But we're going completely off track here with that.

Fair enough. I just want to clarify one last thing. I like the Foos, I just don't like Sonic Highways. I loved Wasting Light - it is probably their best album. They've released some shit before that too. I just don't like Dave Grohl - that's all.