1. The Killers & Paul McCartney New Years Eve St Barts
  2. Lovely. You can see Brandon is truly humbled to sing with one of his heroes
  3. yeah that's the feeling i got too, must have been so cool for him.

Reckon we'll get an album from these guys this year?
  4. Originally posted by Andrew_C:[..]
    yeah that's the feeling i got too, must have been so cool for him.

Reckon we'll get an album from these guys this year?
    Yes, they've already booked some festivals and shows here and there, and they've been busy in the studio for a few months now. I think we can expect the lead single around March maybe
  5. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Yes, they've already booked some festivals and shows here and there, and they've been busy in the studio for a few months now. I think we can expect the lead single around March maybe
    Hope it's good. Last 2 albums, imo were pretty mediocre.
  6. I assume you are referring to Day and Age and Battle Born as their last two albums since The Desired Effect was a solo project. Personally, I liked Battle Born more as an album but Day and Age definitely had stronger hits.

And it still bothers me that they didn't release any live material from their Battle Born tour.
  7. I actually thought Battle Born was a really quality album, and is still good on a fresh listen today. Day and Age is musically awesome, but lyrically a fucking mess.
  8. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]
    I actually thought Battle Born was a really quality album, and is still good on a fresh listen today. Day and Age is musically awesome, but lyrically a fucking mess.
    Are we human or are we dancer?

Day & Age is my favourite Killers album.
  9. It's not even that line in particular though (but I mean it is like "wtf" as well).

It's in every single song. He's throwing metaphors left and right, cliché "cool" terms like "Midnight Sun", Devils, Angels, etc.

I heard you from the wishing well in the city
    Console me in my darkest hour
    I'm in no hurry
    You go run and tell your friends I'm losing touch
    Fill your crown with rumors
    Impending doom, it must be true

My global position systems are vocally addressed
    They say the Nile used to run from East to West
    They say the Nile used to run
    From East to West

Change came in disguised of revelation
    Set his soul on fire
    She said she'd always knew he'd come around
    And the decades disappear like sinking
    Ships we persevere god gives us hope
    But we still fear
    We don't know
    The mind is poison
    Castles in the sky sit stranded vandalized
    The draw bridge is closing

I had a dream that I was falling, down
    There's no next time around
    A storm wastes its water on me
    But my life was free

I can go on, but it's just a lot of fancy word play and lyrical gimmicks that make absolutely no sense to me. Sure they might make sense to him, sure they might make sense to a hardcore Killers fan who thinks they can seep through all the metaphoric weeds to find some depth - but I don't think it's there. I really do think there's a correlation between their mainstream success going downhill and the lyrics getting weird and lame. Think about their first few big singles and then the singles that kept coming out as people lost interest. Sure you can chalk it up to a ton of other things, but I think this is one of them. Brandon's solo work suffers from the same issues. Crossroads:

And tell the Devil that he can go back from where he came
    His fiery arrows drew their bead in vain
    And when the hardest part is over, we'll be here
    And our dreams will break the boundaries of our fear
    The boundaries of our fear

ENOUGH.

Battle Born was a good change from all this nonsense, in my opinion.
  10. I love Alex' periodic rants against Brandon's lyrics

(can't disagree except on Dustland Fairytale, which indeed has a lot of valid metaphors and intricate word play).
  11. yeah, i've noticed that as well to be fair.

it seems Brandon's weird 'Angels and Devils and weird mixed metaphors' phase started around the end of Sam's Town and and he finally got it out of his system with Flamingo; Battle Born and The Desired Effect were both way more down to earth lyrically.

I don't actually hate the lyrics from that period (in fact, I think it suits a lot of the wackier tracks from Day and Age ie. Spaceman, Joy Ride) but I'm in hindsight sorta glad it's over now.