1. Originally posted by daymo1202:[..]

I remember this being broadcast on the night - 17 May 1986. At 8:24 "If you work, if you work for Anco or if you work for Manpower" - Bono, half the teenagers in the country were on AnCO schemes - me included. The Irish government didn't know what else to do with us. lol

Self-Aid was basically a fundraising effort to alleviate Ireland's then chronic unemployment problems. We all fled the country shortly after this.

Great performance by U2 though.
    I was Fás-era, but there were still no jobs and I still had to fly the coop. Christy Moore was down in Rosslare docks singing Ordinary Man as I got on the ferry in the rain...

I remember the telethon effort on RTE and the set by Thin Lizzy, but it was U2 that fired the excitement. 'If you are paid by the people then you better look after those people...' They should hang that from Grenfell tower.

Amazing how the more things change, the more they stay the same!
  2. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    I was Fás-era, but there were still no jobs and I still had to fly the coop. Christy Moore was down in Rosslare docks singing Ordinary Man as I got on the ferry in the rain...

I remember the telethon effort on RTE and the set by Thin Lizzy, but it was U2 that fired the excitement. 'If you are paid by the people then you better look after those people...' They should hang that from Grenfell tower.

Amazing how the more things change, the more they stay the same

You got that right.
  3. Originally posted by Anam:[..]

AnCO (An Chomhairle Oiliúna) was the precursor to FAS. Most of the courses were manual stuff like welding, sheet metal fabrication and the like. I did my AncO course in 1987. And most days we just hung around trading the U2 bootlegs, that were in vogue at the time. The best part of the day was the dinners, they were top notch. Some days you went in twice. It was onwards to New York after that!

You saw Christy Moore too. U2 did a great set at the Self-Aid show. Loved the version of "Pride". I liked "C'mon Everybody" but prefer the version they sporadically performed on the JT Tour in 1987 - the version at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on 8 August 1987 is one of my favourites. We were at that show that night, travelled down from Galway.
  4. Originally posted by Anam:[..]

Well said about the Grenfell Tower
  5. Originally posted by daymo1202:[..]
    AnCO (An Chomhairle Oiliúna) was the precursor to FAS. Most of the courses were manual stuff like welding, sheet metal fabrication and the like. I did my AncO course in 1987. And most days we just hung around trading the U2 bootlegs, that were in vogue at the time. The best part of the day was the dinners, they were top notch. Some days you went in twice. It was onwards to New York after that!

You saw Christy Moore too. U2 did a great set at the Self-Aid show. Loved the version of "Pride". I liked "C'mon Everybody" but prefer the version they sporadically performed on the JT Tour in 1987 - the version at Páirc Uí Chaoimh on 8 August 1987 is one of my favourites. We were at that show that night, travelled down from Galway.
    I listened to that Páirc Uí Chaoimh gig from the hill at Lota in a huff- wasn't allowed to go! I played the bootleg thin for years. The 1993 show wasn't the same.

I love your avatar btw! Lesiureland rocked back in the day! I see Ed Sheeran is doing Cork and Galway on his tour; U2 should aim to outdo that next year!
  6. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    I listened to that Páirc Uí Chaoimh gig from the hill at Lota in a huff- wasn't allowed to go! I played the bootleg thin for years. The 1993 show wasn't the same.

I love your avatar btw! Lesiureland rocked back in the day! I see Ed Sheeran is doing Cork and Galway on his tour; U2 should aim to outdo that next year!
    The Leisureland avatar is from the 19 December 1982 show, a bit before my time but I remember the town plastered with large posters advertising the U2 show. I think it might have been one of those old UCG (now NUIG) Students Union gigs. I heard only 100 or so showed up as most of the students were back home "down the country".

Two fans I did hear about thumbed up from Limerick. Went to the show and slummed it somewhere in Galway that night. Following morning they were both thumbing back down to Limerick when two large cars stuffed with musical equipment passed them heading out of Galway. It was the lads themselves in the cars, Bono, Larry, Edge and Adam. They waved to the two boys standing on the side of the road and all but apologised for not having the room to pick them up.

How times have changed. lol

Leisureland: Saw Big Country perform a great set in 1986 and Something Happens in 1990.

U2 at Pearse Stadium in Salthill would be unreal, if it's good enough for Ed why not U2?

The Claddagh Hall in Galway was were we, as underage football players changed into our football kits. U2 played a benefit concert for Cambodia there in November 1979. I was definitely too young for that but how many fans throughout the world can truthfully claim U2 performed in their changing rooms, lol

True Story!!!
  7. Originally posted by daymo1202:[..]
    The Leisureland avatar is from the 19 December 1982 show, a bit before my time but I remember the town plastered with large posters advertising the U2 show. I think it might have been one of those old UCG (now NUIG) Students Union gigs. I heard only 100 or so showed up as most of the students were back home "down the country".

Two fans I did hear about thumbed up from Limerick. Went to the show and slummed it somewhere in Galway that night. Following morning they were both thumbing back down to Limerick when two large cars stuffed with musical equipment passed them heading out of Galway. It was the lads themselves in the cars, Bono, Larry, Edge and Adam. They waved to the two boys standing on the side of the road and all but apologised for not having the room to pick them up.

How times have changed. lol

Leisureland: Saw Big Country perform a great set in 1986 and Something Happens in 1990.

U2 at Pearse Stadium in Salthill would be unreal, if it's good enough for Ed why not U2?

The Claddagh Hall in Galway was were we, as underage football players changed into our football kits. U2 played a benefit concert for Cambodia there in November 1979. I was definitely too young for that but how many fans throughout the world can truthfully claim U2 performed in their changing rooms, lol

True Story!!!
    Brilliant! I've never been to Pearse Stadium, but I've been to Terryland and the Showgrounds to see the soccer/ rugby. I also spent a week in Galway recovering from the Slane gigs in 2001. If the walls in the Quays could talk!

They were great days though U2 in America-mode, The Stunning, Something Happens, An Emotional Fish. All very slick these days! Time to get that tassled jacket out again maybe!
  8. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    Brilliant! I've never been to Pearse Stadium, but I've been to Terryland and the Showgrounds to see the soccer/ rugby. I also spent a week in Galway recovering from the Slane gigs in 2001. If the walls in the Quays could talk!

They were great days though U2 in America-mode, The Stunning, Something Happens, An Emotional Fish. All very slick these days! Time to get that tassled jacket out again maybe!
    I agree, some great bands you mention, The Stunning, Something Happens, and An Emotional Fish. But for me, the best of the bunch was Tuesday Blue from Limerick.

I only ever saw them live once with The Stunning and that was at the GAA Centre in Gort, County Galway in November 1989. lol

Don't talk to me about The Quays, it's still there!!!
  9. Bono dancing in the first 30 seconds of Pride is all I want to be in my life