1. Things are definitely unclear at the moment and the band seem at a crossroads not knowing how to move forward, there was supposed to be a new album out by now and all they could put out was a rehash of old material basically created by Edge, they haven't played live since 2019 when every other major act has hit the road and the last album of original material was 2017 with no new evidence of any new music been released. The Vegas gigs I don't see as any step forward it's just a big paycheck by rehashing 30 year old past glories something the band in the 80s and 90s would be disgusted at the thought of doing .
  2. Maybe the band is just having a drummer stand in while Larry heals? Wild thought, I know. And having the opportunity to be the first band to perform at a venue like the Sphere is a crazy opportunity... With a convalescing drummer, doing the Sphere shows is kind of their only option to play live at this point. Even if Larry isn't getting paid for the Sphere shows, he won't be suffering financially LOL.. things may be unclear about the future, but we can only take things at face value.. although the silence from Larry may be frustrating, he does appreciate his privacy. I think even if he had retired (which I doubt at this point), nothing would be announced until after the Sphere shows. Based on what three out of four have said, they have new stuff in the works.. and maybe Songs of Ascent will see the light of day sometime in the next 20 years 🤣
  3. Originally posted by bonoschild:Maybe the band is just having a drummer stand in while Larry heals? Wild thought, I know. And having the opportunity to be the first band to perform at a venue like the Sphere is a crazy opportunity... With a convalescing drummer, doing the Sphere shows is kind of their only option to play live at this point. Even if Larry isn't getting paid for the Sphere shows, he won't be suffering financially LOL.. things may be unclear about the future, but we can only take things at face value.. although the silence from Larry may be frustrating, he does appreciate his privacy. I think even if he had retired (which I doubt at this point), nothing would be announced until after the Sphere shows. Based on what three out of four have said, they have new stuff in the works.. and maybe Songs of Ascent will see the light of day sometime in the next 20 years 🤣
    A crazy opportunity to do what? Pat themselves on the back thinking anyone in the world actually cares or will remember who the first band was who played the sphere?
  4. Playing 25 shows at the Sphere will be extremely profitable for them... that's why they are doing it. All of this without having to worry about overhead costs of touring. The equipment/crew stays in one location.

These shows were supposed to happen as early as late 2021, during the actual 30th anniversary of AB. Covid obviously delayed everything, including construction on this venue. Larry was originally supposed to play these shows. I imagine that in a few weeks we'll start hearing more about rehearsals, and interview bits from band members. Larry's absence is certainly going to be covered in the press lead up to the sphere shows, as will the future of U2. They'll have their rehearsed responses ready to go, and it should give us a better indication of what's happening.

5. Makes me think of Radiohead. They have been inactive since their 2018 tour, which I was lucky enough to see. Thom and Jonny are putting all of their efforts into The Smile, and there seems to be no indication that they are thinking about the next RH album at all.
  6. If they broke up in 2018 then that was an incredibly good bunch of impersonators I saw across 6 shows in 2019. And if it was the real band pretending to like each other just to get some extra cash for their pension fund, then they did a convincing job.

Seriously, are we this desperate for news and discussion points???
  7. Originally posted by dylbagz:[..]
    A crazy opportunity to do what? Pat themselves on the back thinking anyone in the world actually cares or will remember who the first band was who played the sphere?
    Yeah yeah yeah, they'll get some press for opening the Sphere, but they'd be mad to miss the pile of dough they'll be getting for playing one venue. It's an easy payday
  8. You know what is not interesting? Sports commentators speculating. That's a lot of what going on on the increasingly uninteresting commentary on this site. Boring speculation.

WTFever. Sources? No. Opinions? Why should I care?
  9. No. Once Larry recovers they will record and tour.
  10. you know, i cant help but wonder if O'Seary is to partially blame for U2 performing without Larry. Seems too coincidental he's let go just before they announce "contractual obligation" shows without a 4th member
  11. Originally posted by dstankie:[..]

What evidence do we have of any of these things?

He's not playing a run of concerts with the band. That's the most significant separation I can think of.

Because he had surgery and is recovering, for craps sake
  12. Originally posted by podiumboy:[..]

Makes me think of Radiohead. They have been inactive since their 2018 tour, which I was lucky enough to see. Thom and Jonny are putting all of their efforts into The Smile, and there seems to be no indication that they are thinking about the next RH album at all.
    Radiohead are splitting up after every tour for a couple of years, without indication to reunite. Maybe we hear nothing of them the next 5 or 10 years, or maybe they pop up next month.