1. Originally posted by justinpushplay:U2 our first and foremost pioneers, and they decided back in the 90s that they wanted to be the first to introduce new tech to live audiences, a way of immersion for their fans like no other band was doing. That’s why you end up with the b-stages , and the ramps that envelop the GA audience, it’s a way of being closer to your audience, but also wanting to immerse them in a complete experience, not just a concert. A live show.. That’s easy for U2, the challenge is always “ What can we do to push the envelope this time?” And that’s something I admire her, because most bands in their 60s are more than content to just sit on their ass and enjoy what they’ve already accomplished. This is what makes U2 different.
    U2 pushed the envelope with zoo, popmart and 360. Maybe IE was also pushing the envelope. Elevation, Vertigo, JT and EI were certainly not. Sphere is not built by U2 so no pushing envelopes here either
  2. I don’t think U2 will ever be able to move past replacing Larry. I believe they’ll eventually let it out that Larry is out. The Sphere isn’t necessarily something that isn’t “U2” since it’s ground breaking screen technology which they’re addicted to, but the fact it’s a Vegas residency is very not-the U2 I grew up loving which really says a lot about how they’re being managed and have changed.

I also believe the next record or 2 are the final ones and they will not be successful which hurt Bono’s ego tremendously. Bono says he doesn’t want to write for radio hits but I call bullshit. He wants to get another massive hit which they haven’t achieved since Vertigo. U2 is not mainstream relevant and hasn’t been for 10 years now. These are my negative thoughts about the band.

3. Ironic to read this side by side with Larry’s statement.
  4. Originally posted by Zwervervriend:[..]
    U2 pushed the envelope with zoo, popmart and 360. Maybe IE was also pushing the envelope. Elevation, Vertigo, JT and EI were certainly not. Sphere is not built by U2 so no pushing envelopes here either
    Also my view. They’ve rented a hall. This isn’t U2 bringing something new. They’re just playing a new venue.
  5. Originally posted by justinpushplay:U2 our first and foremost pioneers, and they decided back in the 90s that they wanted to be the first to introduce new tech to live audiences, a way of immersion for their fans like no other band was doing. That’s why you end up with the b-stages , and the ramps that envelop the GA audience, it’s a way of being closer to your audience, but also wanting to immerse them in a complete experience, not just a concert. A live show.. That’s easy for U2, the challenge is always “ What can we do to push the envelope this time?” And that’s something I admire her, because most bands in their 60s are more than content to just sit on their ass and enjoy what they’ve already accomplished. This is what makes U2 different.

This..... This is why U2 is my all-time favourite.
  6. It's just not true that U2 have always been tech pioneers. I mean, Zoo TV was amazing as art, Popmart was a glorious fail, the claw was utterly pointless (except to sell stadium seats behind the stage), and the screen/orientation on I&E was cool if you had a good angle. I think the best thing they did peformance wise was come up with the heart for the floor on the Elevation tour. Very low tech, there.

At least those things were all ideas coming from the U2 camp.

This venue is going to host artist after artist and everyone is basically gonna do the same things with it. How is that pushing any envelope? It's basically the updated version of the cheesy laser shows I used to go to last century.

None of this has very much to do with the critiques I started the post with.

And, yes, I started a new thread because I legitimately didn't want to rain on anyone's parade on the sphere thread.
  7. Originally posted by dstankie:It's just not true that U2 have always been tech pioneers. I mean, Zoo TV was amazing as art, Popmart was a glorious fail, the claw was utterly pointless (except to sell stadium seats behind the stage), and the screen/orientation on I&E was cool if you had a good angle. I think the best thing they did peformance wise was come up with the heart for the floor on the Elevation tour. Very low tech, there.

This venue is going to host artist after artist and everyone is basically gonna do the same things with it. How is that pushing any envelope? It's basically the updated version of the cheesy laser shows I used to go to last century.

And, yes, I started a new thread because I legitimately didn't want to rain on anyone's parade on the sphere thread.

the only envelope being pushed is one with lots of cheques in it into U2's hands

as has been said before - this is fat elvis playing vegas, which is what bono used to rail against, taking place in a city (vegas) which is the antithesis of what his faith stands for

but, as we know, he picks and chooses which part of his faith to adhere to when it suits

an AB world tour is what should have happened to give something back to the fans for giving them their 'great lives' - and not a sad sad residency in sin city for people will money to burn

disappointing
  8. Originally posted by dstankie:It's just not true that U2 have always been tech pioneers. I mean, Zoo TV was amazing as art, Popmart was a glorious fail, the claw was utterly pointless (except to sell stadium seats behind the stage), and the screen/orientation on I&E was cool if you had a good angle. I think the best thing they did peformance wise was come up with the heart for the floor on the Elevation tour. Very low tech, there.

It's no different to any of the ground breaking tours they've done Willie Williams came up with most of the ideas and concepts then Mark Fisher & Jonathan Park implemented those ideas by building them and all of these guys worked for many other bands designing their tour productions ,Isn't Willie involved with the design of the Sphere alongside others who've worked with U2 over the years ,I get what you're saying that the Sphere isn't solely for U2 but they didn't invent the 360 stage It had been done before or using screens or fancy stage designs that extended into the audience The Stones ,Pink Floyd ,Bowie and various others had done most of it before them and a lot of bands were using big screens in the 80s when U2 had a very minimal stage show.