1. 100% this album would’ve landed WAAAAAAAAAY better had it come out in late 2020/early 2021 as a COVID project. It would’ve been better understood, and with all of us staying at home, it would’ve been a better listen.

Not only has the world moved beyond the need for projects like this, the world has already moved beyond the “back to reality” phase and we’re just back to status quo. It’s kind of too bad it’s getting positive reviews - maybe poor reviews would’ve been a wake up call that U2 take way too long to get things done lol.
  2. Please tell me the band doesn’t seriously think these new versions are better than the original. This is what I imagined the first 15 mins of writing the song sounded like in 1986 - it sounds incomplete
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:This sounds worse than when Bono half-asses a soundcheck performance just to get through it (which is fine, as it’s just to check levels before a show - not an official release that is intended to sell for money).

These are pretty much my thoughts on this track, too. The instrumentation is fine, but some of the vocal choices really bother me.
  4. Originally posted by Monopoly:Please tell me the band doesn’t seriously think these new versions are better than the original. This is what I imagined the first 15 mins of writing the song sounded like in 1986 - it sounds incomplete
    I don't think the goal was to try and improve the songs, just putting a different spin on them. I'm getting more excited as the release approaches.
  5. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:100% this album would’ve landed WAAAAAAAAAY better had it come out in late 2020/early 2021 as a COVID project. It would’ve been better understood, and with all of us staying at home, it would’ve been a better listen.

Not only has the world moved beyond the need for projects like this, the world has already moved beyond the “back to reality” phase and we’re just back to status quo. It’s kind of too bad it’s getting positive reviews - maybe poor reviews would’ve been a wake up call that U2 take way too long to get things done lol.
    maybe poor reviews would’ve been a wake up call that U2 take way too long to get things done lol.

if U2 took a dump and painted it gold (silver or gold?) then some people would still gush over it
  6. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:100% this album would’ve landed WAAAAAAAAAY better had it come out in late 2020/early 2021 as a COVID project. It would’ve been better understood, and with all of us staying at home, it would’ve been a better listen.

Most people's lockdown albums were released sometime last year. If this had come out at Christmas and tied in with the release of the book it would have made much more sense.
  7. Originally posted by kris_smith87:[..]
    Most people's lockdown albums were released sometime last year. If this had come out at Christmas and tied in with the release of the book it would have made much more sense.
    For sure.

Or, Bono and Edge could’ve just filmed themselves (or done it live) in edges house playing through these songs. Many artists/bands did like low key live performances throughout the pandemic. These songs feel like those, except yeah - it’s an album, and it’s coming out in 2023..
  8. Not a fan of this one as much. Don't dislike it, but it's just "okay" for me so far.

I'm heading back to listen to the reimagined Red Hill Mining Town, which I much prefer.

9. If it was Bono's dump, sure. Up on the mantelshelf beside my grandmother's ashes.

If there was an unpainted edition I'd stick that under my pillow.
  10. This one just makes me sad.
  11. I fucking love this. There's a purity in its simplicity. Lovely guitar playing and a vocal that delivers little more than the melody. One of the few songs that truly shines when broken down to its cellular level.