1. Originally posted by hoserama:I get your point, I really do. It just doesn't stick that long!

I mix for my ears first and foremost. On a few occasions, I've done some projects for other folks or for a release project (see the 5/15/15 Vancouver2 multicam). But in general, the recording is mixed first, and then a release decision is made indepedently. The scratch mixes were shortcuts--biggest shortcut was the sloppy method I used to get rid of the counts. And then I didn't spend all the extra time dialing in the final automation that would have taken several weeks.

If I throw on some of those scratch mixes, I have to mentally prepare myself to lower my standards. I can HEAR the shortcuts and sloppiness.

(but man, I'll take those scratch mixes over a lot of the 2017 iem/aud bootlegs. ugh. that's another rant for another time)

I've gone away from doing scratch mixes. I've run off a handful of "quick mixes" (more self-created hoserama mixing lingo) which were basic mixes usually created the night of the show before going to bed. I've gotten better/faster at doing some of the other work, so there's only one show I did that would truly qualify as a scratch mix (and that had no AUD or count removal). Beyond that, I've gone back to doing full show mixes like the Vancouver release I did. Up to about 9 shows in that fashion so far.

So the inner perfectionist has won out
    I know is not polite to ask for things like this, and I hope it doesn't sound rude or whatever, but:

would it be possible for you to clean the counts and clicks from the Coimbra IEM version of Boy Falls From the Sky? considering this is the only recording of that song, removing those counts (and the crowd noise at the end, but maybe that's not even possible), it would be as if we have an actual studio demo, so IMHO this is a worthy and outstanding project.

(I'd ask the same about Milan's Glastonbury, but BFFTS is way better)
  2. What feeds are existing from Coimbra? If I recall, wasn't it Nuno's source that was released which had a lot of static?
  3. Originally posted by hoserama:What feeds are existing from Coimbra? If I recall, wasn't it Nuno's source that was released which had a lot of static?
    yes... I'm definitely not an audiophile, so I wasn't even considering that

(still, I love the early demos, and the sound quality is far from stellar, so I wouldn't mind... but I get that maybe it's not worthy to put too much time into it...)
  4. I know somebody else with clean feeds but has not released, so I'll respect that. Not super inclined to spend a lot of work on something that needs a bunch of clean-up and is just the single feed.
  5. Originally posted by hoserama:I know somebody else with clean feeds but has not released, so I'll respect that. Not super inclined to spend a lot of work on something that needs a bunch of clean-up and is just the single feed.
    I understand.
    Hopefully the feed for (at least) that one track comes out eventually. Is one of their best songs of the last few years.
  6. When U2 calls it quits, either voluntarily or forced (likely health reasons), I imagine a bunch of stuff will start dribbling out of the vaults.
  7. I know this is not an AMA, but in your circles, ¿do you know if there's some other unreleased early years (pre-Boy) show recorded that we're not aware of?
    and
    if you knew, would you tell us?
  8. Originally posted by Bloodraven:I know this is not an AMA, but in your circles, ¿do you know if there's some other unreleased early years (pre-Boy) show recorded that we're not aware of?
    and
    Have you heard the 1979 version of Out Of Control from the Dandelion Market? The guy says he has a full recording, but he doesn't want to share it.

9. unless it's a different one, I downloaded it from here... it's only 6 shows afaik:

The OOC from the Dandilion Market, the full 4 shows (Opera House, National Stadium and Tullamore x2), and then 6 songs from Leixlip Castle.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the 4 full shows are really close (and hence very similar) to each other, so there's a huge gap in 78-79 where we have no idea what a U2 show looked like.

(the audio in the youtube video is a bit longer than the downloadable mp3 )
  10. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    unless it's a different one, I downloaded it from here... it's only 6 shows afaik:

The OOC from the Dandilion Market, the full 4 shows (Opera House, National Stadium and Tullamore x2), and then 6 songs from Leixlip Castle.

The thing that bothers me the most is that the 4 full shows are really close (and hence very similar) to each other, so there's a huge gap in 78-79 where we have no idea what a U2 show looked like.

(the audio in the youtube video is a bit longer than the downloadable mp3 )
    Yes, but my point is that the taper says he also has the encore of that show at the Dandelion, with U2 covering Glad To See You Go by The Ramones.
  11. Originally posted by Bloodraven:I know this is not an AMA, but in your circles, ¿do you know if there's some other unreleased early years (pre-Boy) show recorded that we're not aware of?
    and
    Not really, my expertise is more wireless recordings which didn't really come into play for U2 until popmart. There's a number of unreleased sbds from the eighties though, but I can't think of any from that early time period.