2017-11-11 - London
Tour: Experience and Innocence tour
Songs played: 9
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 3
  1. if it resists the link----------------
  2. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]
    Thinking of their career, sure, the passion was greater at a young age, but considering the magnitude of popularity they have, ...

I'm assuming that the full thought is "...they still show a lot of passion, (maybe even more than what one would expect for a band this size and 'old')"

I don't think I'd really thought about this before, and I just sort of like assumed it.
    Like, yeah they're passionate but that's the way they always have been, the way they are, the way they should be, and the way they will always be... and I guess every other artist is exactly the same, right?

Your post is making me think that maybe this passion is not something I should just take for granted, and I feel weird for not thinking of this before.
  3. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]

I'm assuming that the full thought is "...they still show a lot of passion, (maybe even more than what one would expect for a band this size and 'old')"

I don't think I'd really thought about this before, and I just sort of like assumed it.
    Like, yeah they're passionate but that's the way they always have been, the way they are, the way they should be, and the way they will always be... and I guess every other artist is exactly the same, right?

Your post is making me think that maybe this passion is not something I should just take for granted, and I feel weird for not thinking of this before.
    It's that thing about 'stepping inside the songs' as Bono puts it rather than going through the motions on autopilot. He's living the songs when he sings them, night after night, even adding / changing little pieces to the lyrics here and there to make them more up to date and relevant for him and consequently us. I've never not known him give it his all when he sings, same for the rest of the band when they play.

Another band I have loved down the years, Simple Minds... they're a great live band with a long-spanning career like U2's, renown for their live shows and touring history also, although unlike U2 they have a somewhat chequered history in terms of personnel and lineup changes down the years. As great as Simple Minds music has been at times, and as good as their gigs can sometimes be, quite often in years gone by it occasionally looks like they're going through the motions and would rather be watching paint dry or something.

I kinda think that's understandable and natural, afterall night after night doing anything over and over on some of these mammoth world tours bands of this nature do, as fun as it all must be, it must get slightly repetitive if you're not keeping things fresh for yourself and the audience.

To me, that's why U2 are in a different league to many others (not saying nobody else gives it their all every night - but I'd wager most go through the motions on autopilot at some point). Even on a tour like TJT30 where the setlist has been almost rigid give or take a few minor changes here and there on occasion the band still seem to be stepping inside the songs. I've listened to all TJT30 recordings in circulation with the exception of those new EVSD and Rattlesnake Silvers that appeared in the last week, and not once have they appeared to be going through the motions - Bono especially who gives a passionate 110% performance even on an off-night where he might be unwell or when his voice is shot etc.

However, as passionate as they are, I also do wish they'd mix things up some though, and am hoping the next tour will do a little more of that. I think some of that is down to being a slave to the tech / screens to a degree and perhaps a little down to not being able to rehearse and retain any more than the 25-30ish songs or so that they might do across a tour these days. Sure any given single show you're at is still going to be excellent, but as a whole it always makes the tour more interesting when you play around with the setlist at least a little bit. Just my 2 pennies worth anyways.
  4. I haven't seen many live bands, but I do remember feeling a bit disappointed after the Pixies show I went, they did played like it was just their job. They seemed as excited as if they were doing paperwork.

On the other hand, I remember James playing like if it was the first time they were in front of an audience.
  5. In London gig you can see how Bono is hurt ( the tax thing) when his singing some lyrics...in One " did I ask to much..more than a lot..You gave me nothing It's all I got...Love the higher Law...love the higher Law......when all you got is hurt...."
    Amazing that you can see how he try to tell the people that he doesn't have any hidden agenda...he has done nothing bad on purpose
  6. Nice bit of Gucci on Adam there