1. You should produce their next album
  2. Actually I'm more comfortable with them reusing lines from Volcano, SFS and Iris, than when it was just You Are Rock And Roll.

And for me it'd be even better if there are references to even more SOI songs.

One reference was awkward and felt like an afterthought, but three or more makes clear that there's a purpose to it, even if they're a couple of years apart.
  3. Originally posted by Bloodraven:Actually I'm more comfortable with them reusing lines from Volcano, SFS and Iris, than when it was just You Are Rock And Roll.

And for me it'd be even better if there are references to even more SOI songs.

One reference was awkward and felt like an afterthought, but three or more makes clear that there's a purpose to it, even if they're a couple of years apart.
    Yep.

It’s too bad that there will have been a 3 year gap between the albums, but if their idea from the beginning was to make two companion albums (and a two-part tour) based on William Blake, then it makes complete sense, even if many people will see it as a cop out or the band losing creativity. Though I haven’t loved what we’ve heard so far, I’m remaining optimistic.
  4. Yeah all of this definitely appears to be a nod to what William Blake did with Songs Of Innocence and Of Experience, Bono's inner magpie at it once again, nothing wrong with that though... "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief" and all that.

Reusing ideas and calling back / linking to works on SoI might come off as a bit lazy and unimaginative to some no doubt, but I think it has more than likely been the plan all along from day one before SoI came out, which going back to 2014 was probably why the band thought SoE might not take too long.

Personally I think it's an interesting concept and idea, especially for a rock band, and especially for one of U2's stature, a brave move that could backfire tremendously if misjudged. However, I don't think they'd be going down this road unless they really believed they could pull something special off.

Ultimately the proof of the pudding will be in the eating come December when we've all had a chance to fully digest SoE in its entirety and in its own right and then also once we've had a chance to put the two works together.
  5. Originally posted by Caledonia:Yeah all of this definitely appears to be a nod to what William Blake did with Songs Of Innocence and Of Experience, Bono's inner magpie at it once again, nothing wrong with that though... "every artist is a cannibal, every poet is a thief" and all that.

Reusing ideas and calling back / linking to works on SoI might come off as a bit lazy and unimaginative to some no doubt, but I think it has more than likely been the plan all along from day one before SoI came out, which going back to 2014 was probably why the band thought SoE might not take too long.

Personally I think it's an interesting concept and idea, especially for a rock band, and especially for one of U2's stature, a brave move that could backfire tremendously if misjudged. However, I don't think they'd be going down this road unless they really believed they could pull something special off.

Ultimately the proof of the pudding will be in the eating come December when we've all had a chance to fully digest SoE in its entirety and in its own right and then also once we've had a chance to put the two works together.
    Hear, hear. I'm keeping an open mind until I hear the record.
  6. It would make more sense if it was double album or the gap wasn't longer than 1 year... But we'll see how it looks like when we'll hear the whole album
  7. I agree, this would probably work more smoothly if SOE had come out closer to SOI - but that had been the plan all along.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing this in action, I think it could be quite interesting.
  8. Confirmed: Mother and Child Reunion and SFS's lovechild.
  9. It's better than SFS though.

It fits.
  10. A song for someone, someone like me...

Quite emotional.