1. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:Listen to the intro of This Is Where (that acronym tho) and it's the exact same synth as the one that makes up most of Slug.

Or I guess it might be more of a percussive thing than a synth (drum machine?) but yeah.
    The spooky synths?
  2. It's not ridiculous at all I feel. Come on, the band did a copy/paste from a bridge to a chorus. Bit odd, no?
  3. Originally posted by blink:It's not ridiculous at all I feel. Come on, the band did a copy/paste from a bridge to a chorus. Bit odd, no?
    Indeed. Seems that there is the side that likes the repetition and the side that hates it.
    I don't see the point of reusing "You are Rock N Roll" in both a song about an Irish teen in the 80s and the US situation in 2017, but what do I know, I'm the Grinch here.
  4. It’s lazy but I can let them off as its ultimately a much better song than the garbage that was volcano, for me the weakest song on SOI.

Edges “hold on brother John” sequence is fabulous and amongst the best sections I’ve heard by the band in years. It’s so good and harks back to achtung baby era feels.

It’s a shame the solo doesn’t deliver but it’s decent, it should’ve gone into the stratosphere rather than a subdued shakedown but I’m ok with it. It’s just a shame volcano wasn’t American soul in the first place. Perhaps it’s the innocence demo?
  5. As much as I thought Volcano was the weakest track on SoI, and how much I hate THAT chorus too, I think it's a better song overall. Reminds me of something from the 81-83 era.
  6. very nice lyric video!
  7. Originally posted by blink:It's not ridiculous at all I feel. Come on, the band did a copy/paste from a bridge to a chorus. Bit odd, no?
    It's a self-referential thematic device - the Beatles did it. U2 has done it too, in a way, if you think of the echo of 'Let Me in The Sound' in Fez-Being Born. It is a way drawing an implicit connection between Songs of Innocence & Experience.

Visual artists will use reoccurring motifs in separate works. It's done often in films - characters have themes (think Star Wars) and the pieces of music are introduced and reintroduced in over parts of the movie or sequels (or prequels.)

That's how I see it, anywise.
  8. Originally posted by cam:[..]
    It's a self-referential thematic device - the Beatles did it. U2 has done it too, in a way, if you think of the echo of 'Let Me in The Sound' in Fez-Being Born. It is a way drawing an implicit connection between Songs of Innocence & Experience.

Visual artists will use reoccurring motifs in separate works. It's done often in films - characters have themes (think Star Wars) and the pieces of music are introduced and reintroduced in over parts of the movie or sequels (or prequels.)

^ This.
    exactly. Thank you for putting my thoughts into words!
  9. It’s lazy and clever at the same time, if U2 weren’t such a nightmare in the studio none of us would have a problem with it.
  10. If they popped this album out in 2015, I think we’d have less of an issue with it. Three years on it just seems a bit forced.
  11. Originally posted by cam:[..]

If they really wanted to draw this connection between SOI and SOE then its not exactly subtle lol

Like iTim mentioned, it seems a bit forced?

My opinion at least