2017-09-22 - San Diego
Tour: Joshua Tree Tour 2017
Songs played: 23
Audio recordings: 2
Videos: 2
  1. Gotta admit that the ’line’ sounds very confusing and potentially very unfair to a fan who just wants to get to the venue very very early on concert day.

I’d be a bit upset if 200 people arrived after me and told me that a fan website had a check in system going that some security guard said was fine.
  2. Originally posted by cookoman:Gotta admit that the ’line’ sounds very confusing and potentially very unfair to a fan who just wants to get to the venue very very early on concert day.

I’d be a bit upset if 200 people arrived after me and told me that a fan website had a check in system going that some security guard said was fine.
    agree
  3. Originally posted by cookoman:Gotta admit that the ’line’ sounds very confusing and potentially very unfair to a fan who just wants to get to the venue very very early on concert day.

There's already 400 in the 'virtual' line so imagine if you show up at 5am today and you see no one, yet there's 400 in front of you. This sometimes happens and it sometimes does happen as well that people get very upset.

4. Is that how it worked? I would have thought there was a system to allow group bookings somehow but I've never had that explained whether say only one person in a group got in.
  5. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    There's already 400 in the 'virtual' line so imagine if you show up at 5am today and you see no one, yet there's 400 in front of you. This sometimes happens and it sometimes does happen as well that people get very upset.
    And it is also very unfair because not everyone knows about that checking system (I wouldn't call it lining or queuing system, because it's not)... If that info is sent to everyone who has ticket, then it's fair. But that's probably not happening...
  6. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    What do you think about it Remy? I know we had a discussion about this before and I think I'm correct in saying you've done the check in thing a few times? I don't have a problem with people using the system as it's the system that is flawed and the organisers as opposed to the individuals taking advantage of it but I think people should use a bit of decency as well and say if there's someone there before us in the morning we'll use our numbered line after them and not jump in front, it's the right thing to do. Long term maybe u2 should do an official check in thing and have it as part of the email when tickets are bought, at least then people are aware and it's a bit fairer.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]

Is that how it worked? I would have thought there was a system to allow group bookings somehow but I've never had that explained whether say only one person in a group got in.
    I don't know... all Vertigo shows I've been to were with first come first go system... not lottery

and it was reply to this, not you :
    Originally posted by ap5:This is why the lottery system the band used on the Vertigo tour was so great.

Show up, scan ticket, win or lose for the inner circle. Move on and enjoy the show.

Gives everyone with a GA ticket a chance at a great spot without days of this sort of nonsense.

he speaks on tickets, not groups
  8. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    I don't know... all Vertigo shows I've been to were with first come first go system... not lottery

and it was reply to this, not you :
    [..]

he speaks on tickets, not groups
    If it was just tickets and not groups then that is a really poor system for the reasons you stated previously.
  9. This GA "virtual line" is an absolute joke , it's open to abuse and it's a clique and it's very unfair on fans who aren't aware of this unofficial protocol .
    It's time U2 took control of the situation to make it fair for ALL fans
  10. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    What do you think about it Remy? I know we had a discussion about this before and I think I'm correct in saying you've done the check in thing a few times? I don't have a problem with people using the system as it's the system that is flawed and the organisers as opposed to the individuals taking advantage of it but I think people should use a bit of decency as well and say if there's someone there before us in the morning we'll use our numbered line after them and not jump in front, it's the right thing to do. Long term maybe u2 should do an official check in thing and have it as part of the email when tickets are bought, at least then people are aware and it's a bit fairer.
    I've done it for almost all shows I went to, as I like being in front. I think it's indeed unfair as many don't know about it. But the check-in system I like personally (just from my own point of view, for my own benefit ). In Miami I checked in at 7am, went to beach until 2 and got back having a great place in the queue and in the stadium.

However in Amsterdam they made you come back at either 1am or 5am, then I'm not doing it anymore but at least it's a bit more fair as it comes close to 'real' queuing.
  11. Originally posted by Remy:[..]
    I've done it for almost all shows I went to, as I like being in front. I think it's indeed unfair as many don't know about it. But the check-in system I like personally (just from my own point of view, for my own benefit ). In Miami I checked in at 7am, went to beach until 2 and got back having a great place in the queue and in the stadium.

However in Amsterdam they made you come back at either 1am or 5am, then I'm not doing it anymore but at least it's a bit more fair as it comes close to 'real' queuing.
    It does sound like the solution is to make the check ins official and times sent out in emails. I don't think this will significantly increase the number of people queuing but gives people who want to a fair chance and then people turning up early on the day should at least know they won't be at the front of the queue. I still don't necessarily think it's the best idea but the easiest to implement and give people a fair chance.