1. Kept thinking about it, and I have one more example:

I really love Big Girls Are Best.
    But if that had been ATYCLB's lead single, I think I would've hated it a lot more than what I hated Boots back then.
  2. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    yeah, I'm thinking outloud, so not sure if it makes sense...

When Boots came out, I felt like "ugh, they're trying to make another Vertigo... this won't end good..."
    Then I listened to the whole album, and it was different than what Boots led me to believe.
    Eventually (like years later) I came to appreciate Boots, and I think it's a really good song.

Then it was the Mac event. And they played The Miracle, and I held my breath because they were doing it again, those power chords that scream "look! we rock hard! see?" but that actually sound as pop as it gets.
    Again, the album sounded different and the fact that it came out at the same time as the single make it easier for me to "forgive" the Miracle.

Now, if they had said, "look, we have a new album! check it out! this is the lead single!" and they played The Blackout, maaaaaybe I would've rolled my eyes and think "they're.freaking.doing it.again".
    Instead, we listened to Little Things, and even we caught some Best Thing, before listening (and knowing that they weren't pushing) The Blackout...

At first sight I don't see anything in common between Blackout and Vertigo/Boots/Miracle, but if I think of the Blackout as the first single, the song they were pushing to promote their new material... yeah, I would definitely hear a lot of those songs into Blackout, and probably it would've tainted my experience with that song, so...

...yeah, somehow it changes my experience of the song. First impressions and all that.
    I get what you're saying. In my opinion it's more like the other way round (i.e. I usually like the album previews at first, but then they normally fall in the bottom third of the whole list of songs), but I understand your point now.
  3. Boots just shouldn't exist.
  4. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    yeah, I'm thinking outloud, so not sure if it makes sense...

When Boots came out, I felt like "ugh, they're trying to make another Vertigo... this won't end good..."
    Then I listened to the whole album, and it was different than what Boots led me to believe.
    Eventually (like years later) I came to appreciate Boots, and I think it's a really good song.

Then it was the Mac event. And they played The Miracle, and I held my breath because they were doing it again, those power chords that scream "look! we rock hard! see?" but that actually sound as pop as it gets.
    Again, the album sounded different and the fact that it came out at the same time as the single make it easier for me to "forgive" the Miracle.

Now, if they had said, "look, we have a new album! check it out! this is the lead single!" and they played The Blackout, maaaaaybe I would've rolled my eyes and think "they're.freaking.doing it.again".
    Instead, we listened to Little Things, and even we caught some Best Thing, before listening (and knowing that they weren't pushing) The Blackout...

At first sight I don't see anything in common between Blackout and Vertigo/Boots/Miracle, but if I think of the Blackout as the first single, the song they were pushing to promote their new material... yeah, I would definitely hear a lot of those songs into Blackout, and probably it would've tainted my experience with that song, so...

...yeah, somehow it changes my experience of the song. First impressions and all that.

This is very definitely me. Even now The Blackout sounds a little too much like Vertigo 2.0 to me, but if it had been the first single it would have been impossible not to notice, I think.
  5. I actually don't see Blackout in the same vein as those other songs at all. Maybe because it has more of a groove to it than those other songs (which are pretty much straight four on the floor rockers), maybe because the bridge is sort of odd, maybe because the lyrics aren't as mindless as Vertigo's or Boots' are, I dunno. I just think it has a little more to it.
  6. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:I actually don't see Blackout in the same vein as those other songs at all. Maybe because it has more of a groove to it than those other songs (which are pretty much straight four on the floor rockers), maybe because the bridge is sort of odd, maybe because the lyrics aren't as mindless as Vertigo's or Boots' are, I dunno. I just think it has a little more to it.
    agree... Blackout is better than Vertigo-Boots-Miracle and has totally different feeling. Yes, it's rocker... but has something taking it to higher level...
  7. Courtesy of U2EnEspaña

8. Originally posted by Alvin:[..]
    Nice...
    I have ordered it from one online store, but after week they wrote they won't get that and cancelled my order
    that's shit...
  9. Looks like I should be getting the colored one
  10. The mixing on this song is amazing! Bassline grabs you right off the bat in ways I've been really craving from a U2 song. I can see this opening the shows by shutting off all the lights right at the start.