1. I was expecting The Blackout to have a 2 minute intro (like the zoo tvish intro it already has but longer) and be the first track on the album, I'm very surprised it isn't. I still expect it to be the tour opener, btw I love the track.
  2. Originally posted by musikedidiable:I was expecting The Blackout to have a 2 minute intro (like the zoo tvish intro it already has but longer) and be the first track on the album, I'm very surprised it isn't. I still expect it to be the tour opener, btw I love the track.
    wrong thread
  3. Place 31 on Youtube (new music video)
    Not bad I think
  4. should have been 1st single (but best thing is fun too)
  5. I beg to differ.

I'm not sure how I would've felt about Blackout if it had been the lead single...
    Vertigo --> Boots --> Miracle --> Blackout
    Somehow I think I would've thought it was the nth attempt of following the same route and maybe I would've find it tiring, again trying hard to look cool.

At the same time, now I'm wondering how I would've felt about Boots or Miracle if they hadn't been the lead single of their respective albums
  6. Originally posted by Bloodraven:[..]
    I beg to differ.

I'm not sure how I would've felt about Blackout if it had been the lead single...
    Vertigo --> Boots --> Miracle --> Blackout
    Somehow I think I would've thought it was the nth attempt of following the same route and maybe I would've find it tiring, again trying hard to look cool.

At the same time, now I'm wondering how I would've felt about Boots or Miracle if they hadn't been the lead single of their respective albums
    Do you mean that your appreciation for these songs changes because they were lead singles of their albums? A song is a song, the chords are the chords and the lyrics are the lyrics... I don't really get that
  7. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Do you mean that your appreciation for these songs changes because they were lead singles of their albums? A song is a song, the chords are the chords and the lyrics are the lyrics... I don't really get that
    yeah, I'm thinking outloud, so not sure if it makes sense...

When Boots came out, I felt like "ugh, they're trying to make another Vertigo... this won't end good..."
    Then I listened to the whole album, and it was different than what Boots led me to believe.
    Eventually (like years later) I came to appreciate Boots, and I think it's a really good song.

Then it was the Mac event. And they played The Miracle, and I held my breath because they were doing it again, those power chords that scream "look! we rock hard! see?" but that actually sound as pop as it gets.
    Again, the album sounded different and the fact that it came out at the same time as the single make it easier for me to "forgive" the Miracle.

Now, if they had said, "look, we have a new album! check it out! this is the lead single!" and they played The Blackout, maaaaaybe I would've rolled my eyes and think "they're.freaking.doing it.again".
    Instead, we listened to Little Things, and even we caught some Best Thing, before listening (and knowing that they weren't pushing) The Blackout...

At first sight I don't see anything in common between Blackout and Vertigo/Boots/Miracle, but if I think of the Blackout as the first single, the song they were pushing to promote their new material... yeah, I would definitely hear a lot of those songs into Blackout, and probably it would've tainted my experience with that song, so...

...yeah, somehow it changes my experience of the song. First impressions and all that.