1. An announcement would be great,but am really hoping sales don't start until very late January/early February.January is a long month and it'd be nice to have a payday before having to worry about buying tickets!

2. A small mistake in the dates...
  3. Below par album and an over saturation of the market in the last few years will do that
  4. Oversaturation of the market, definitely, as much as I am enjoying this era as a U2 fan.

But - admitting that I find SOE superior to SOI - I’m not sure that reception to the album has anything to do with lack of sellouts. The first string of shows were all announced and went on sale before the album even came out, right? I’d add that this whole VerifiedFan fiasco and too high of ticket prices have contributed to the mess.
  5. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    Oversaturation of the market, definitely, as much as I am enjoying this era as a U2 fan.

But - admitting that I find SOE superior to SOI - I’m not sure that reception to the album has anything to do with lack of sellouts. The first string of shows were all announced and went on sale before the album even came out, right? I’d add that this whole VerifiedFan fiasco and too high of ticket prices have contributed to the mess.
    Amen from A to Z. The album doesn't have anything to do with these poor ticket sales – the ticket prices, the lame ticketing service and the saturation of the same markets over and over again do. A lot (A LOT) of attendees to U2 concerts are what I call "bucket list markers", a.k.a. people who go see U2 just because they're a famous band who had a lot of hits back in the day and they're cool to see and post a pic in your instagram profile. If tickets are expensive and hard to get, that potential mass of attendees passes and decides to do whatever else. And if you play the same cities and states over and over again throughout 3 consecutive years, well, that mass of bucket list attendees will probably have seen you sooner or later.
  6. yep, people don't decide to go to a U2 concert (or Stones, or Oasis, or Radiohead, or...) depending on how good is their last album.
  7. I think it's interesting when people accuse U2 of selling out for the sake of commercial success because their touring strategy flies contrary to that entire concept. As mentioned before, the market for U2 shows has been way oversaturated the past few years, which is not a problem in and of itself except for the fact they have been hitting the same places over and over again. And the whole situation with the verified fan deal and ticket prices... It's adding barriers that would keep the general concert goer from spontaneously picking up a ticket.
  8. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think it's interesting when people accuse U2 of selling out for the sake of commercial success because their touring strategy flies contrary to that entire concept. As mentioned before, the market for U2 shows has been way oversaturated the past few years, which is not a problem in and of itself except for the fact they have been hitting the same places over and over again. And the whole situation with the verified fan deal and ticket prices... It's adding barriers that would keep the general concert goer from spontaneously picking up a ticket.
    Exactly.

PS. "selling out for the sake of commercial success" is usually something that's said regarding their studio albums and not their touring strategy, which has always (except in two very precise moments: the Lovetown and Elevation tours) been all about growing bigger, grossing more, dragging more people.
  9. @ u2 please release something re EU tour dates on the first or second of jan
  10. Originally posted by LikeASong:[..]
    Exactly.

PS. "selling out for the sake of commercial success" is usually something that's said regarding their studio albums and not their touring strategy, which has always (except in two very precise moments: the Lovetown and Elevation tours) been all about growing bigger, grossing more, dragging more people.
    I happily cross/repost this article, which sheds some light on new ticket sale strategies for LiveNation. Therefore, it's completely "expected" for most shows not to sell out, it's actually exactly their chosen strategy.

11. this article still has me shivering in disgust.