1. Originally posted by MattG:I guess it really all is part of the cocktail of weirdness then; If he can't "perform" as well for the TJT songs because he needs to sing them, and he's doing a worse and worse job singing the songs as opposed to taking easy-ways-out of the melodies...

I don't think he's doing a worse job of singing them, i prefer Streets and with or without you from back on the elevation tor but would say they're being performed no better or worse than the last 3 tours. ISHFWILF is finally being sung in full live so that's an improvement on most of the recent tours. Bullet the blue sky is being performed well all round, maybe RTSS i prefer Bono's vocal on the vertigo tour but every track after that I don't think he's sung better since the original JT tour. Admittedly a lot of them haven't been played much if at all since then but I think he's doing a more than decent job. Again I don't know how you expect him to be behaving onstage when he's singing songs like RTSS, RHMT, OTH and Mothers, they are Stand and sing songs and as an audience member they are stand/ sit and enjoy songs you don't have to be bouncing about to.
  2. I saw them in Tampa a few weeks ago. He didn't seem like he was having much fun. I didn't see much energy in the show. It's like they were just there, but not really there. He didn't seem to connect with the audience. The show wasn't sold out. A lot of empty seats and the floor was only half full. They didn't seem very excited to be there. I hate to say it but it was a bit boring. He really didn't interact with anyone....didn't pull anyone onto the stage either.
  3. I know we are not allowed to talk politics so I won't. But do you all understand what its like right now in America? It's really really tough. The un-doing of the funding for Bono's AIDS campaign is almost certain. It's a big big deal.

I think the show I saw a few weeks ago, I was watching 4 performers putting on a show created 100 percent FOR THEIR FANS. This tour is a celebration of one of their most popular albums. It's a wonderful show. (And if you like other tours more than this one, that's a-ok too)

Don't bash a group of men all in their 50's because they aren't running around the stage like they are 22. Those guys are busting their butts. It's ok that they show their age. Frankly I don't want Bono acting like he's 33. He's an Elder Statesmen of Rock!

Now then, Let's get some new music releases already from our boys already!
  4. Originally posted by theEDGEofTN:I saw them in Tampa a few weeks ago. He didn't seem like he was having much fun. I didn't see much energy in the show. It's like they were just there, but not really there. He didn't seem to connect with the audience. The show wasn't sold out. A lot of empty seats and the floor was only half full. They didn't seem very excited to be there. I hate to say it but it was a bit boring. He really didn't interact with anyone....didn't pull anyone onto the stage either.
    Pulling fans on stage just started to happen since Louisville and it isn't really necessary. I think that this show relies heavily on the screen being the main point. Also a lot of these songs Bono hasn't sung in many years so he may be concentrating more on each note I'm not sure. When they are on the B-Stage I feel like they are electric personally.
  5. I understand enjoying the show and having fun but to not notice a difference in Bonos performance is crazY. He's def not the same he was during I&E
  6. Originally posted by MoFoNYR15:I understand enjoying the show and having fun but to not notice a difference in Bonos performance is crazY. He's def not the same he was during I&E
    It's not the same show as I&E though, the songs on that tour had far more energy in general, until the end of the world, raised by wolves, Gloria, the electric co, they are all more energetic songs than the majority of the 2nd half of TJT. Even the I&E stage design made for a more energetic performance, this is clearly a show about the visuals on the big screen and the songs being played professionally and close to the album version. If that's not your thing fair enough but they did explain they were playing TJT in full every night so I don't know what fans were expecting from these songs that are not made to jump about to.
  7. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    It's not the same show as I&E though, the songs on that tour had far more energy in general, until the end of the world, raised by wolves, Gloria, the electric co, they are all more energetic songs than the majority of the 2nd half of TJT. Even the I&E stage design made for a more energetic performance, this is clearly a show about the visuals on the big screen and the songs being played professionally and close to the album version. If that's not your thing fair enough but they did explain they were playing TJT in full every night so I don't know what fans were expecting from these songs that are not made to jump about to.
    I just disagree. Simple. I don't care what the reason is honestly. It's just obvious that's he's not his usual self. This tour feels different then any other tour i love seen. No big deal.
  8. I'll cheer him up with my "PLAY POP" sign
  9. None of it really matters, what matters is that they are and always will be an incredible band. Seeing them sell out stadiums 40 years into their career and for them to still be going after all this time is very special indeed.

I think this is certainly not the strongest tours they've ever performed on, I do get a feeling that they are kind of going through the motions on this tour.

Bono's voice whilst still in good shape, dare i say it is not even on par with I&E from 2015, he does seem to be struggling with his voice this tour and it's not even subtle. Such a drastic difference from a few years ago.

But the band are together and still as tight as ever, that's what keeps them going and their passion and energy is what we all love!

I think we just need this new album for fresh ideas and a new direction for them
  10. I don't hope that there's anything wrong with any of them.

Honestly, comparing it to the last two tours, its only natural Bono isn't doing the exact same as he did before:

It was completely different occasion , take I+E for eample :

especially focusing on the setlist : which in my humble opinion is the main force behind the band energy. Apart from a few songs like Iris, EBW and October, Most of the songs played where either really upbeat (Miracle,IWF, Electric Co) joyfull (MW, desire, EBTTRT) or just good rockers ( Vertigo, Cedarwood Road, Elevation, Bullet)

Meanwhile , this tour is in stadiums so its bound to feel less intimate in the first place. Considering the stage isn't up to 360's par. AND we just saw them on an indoor show where you could see them 10 feet away from you no matter how late you arived...

Well, then think of the setlist : It contains the whole of the JT, which apart from a few songs, (streets, Trip, IGC) Are pretty heavy songs... RHMT, OTH , Greg Carolls memory, RTSS , EXIT anyone?

The setlist is full of beautiful songs. But they will never give anyone who states he "needs to get into the songs to be able to sing them" Into party mode.
    Or is it just me?

As for his voice, some nights are better than others but he sounds pretty terrific mostly throughout. I think Cleveland was one of the more dodgy voice days..
  11. Originally posted by RUMMY:Cripes. I feel like I'm in the minority here. I absolutely loved "my" JT show and have my fingers crossed for an Achtung Baby one. No, I don't think Bono should dress up like The Fly or any of the other characters but, hey, I love the songs from JT and AB and am embracing this tour.

Now....I get it. Let's get a new album out and perform those songs, too. I'll be there singing loud and proud.

As for Bono. I guess I haven't watched enough video to see if he's "off." However, he did seem a bit ...slower...more deliberate when answer questions during pre-tour interviews. Yes, he seemed a bit ...older. Because he is older and time waits for no one.

Ha!! Heck, if they DO do an Achtung Baby tour, I won't complain one bit. I'll be there! That said, I think they are serious when they indicate that a revolving door of nostalgia is not their intent, and I don't necessarily expect an Achtung Baby/Zoo anniversary tour. They've played more of AB on tour over the years than they have JT, really. Of the 11 songs they played form it on Zoo TV, 8 of them have shown up on subsequent tours, for substantial portions of the tour or in some cases all of it - and some of them on multiple tours. I think it would be enough, assuming they are on tour around the 30th anniversary of AB/ZooTV, to have a Zoo TV style encore, a bit like they did on the Vertigo tour.

But if they did do an AB tour, I'd have no problem with it, as long as it wasn't at the expense of moving forward. If it JUST becomes anniversary after nostalgic anniversary, I'll still love it b/c I love U2, but it would be sad that U2 was essentially "done" otherwise.
  12. Originally posted by mofothethird:I don't hope that there's anything wrong with any of them.

Honestly, comparing it to the last two tours, its only natural Bono isn't doing the exact same as he did before:

It was completely different occasion , take I+E for eample :

especially focusing on the setlist : which in my humble opinion is the main force behind the band energy. Apart from a few songs like Iris, EBW and October, Most of the songs played where either really upbeat (Miracle,IWF, Electric Co) joyfull (MW, desire, EBTTRT) or just good rockers ( Vertigo, Cedarwood Road, Elevation, Bullet)

Meanwhile , this tour is in stadiums so its bound to feel less intimate in the first place. Considering the stage isn't up to 360's par. AND we just saw them on an indoor show where you could see them 10 feet away from you no matter how late you arived...

Well, then think of the setlist : It contains the whole of the JT, which apart from a few songs, (streets, Trip, IGC) Are pretty heavy songs... RHMT, OTH , Greg Carolls memory, RTSS , EXIT anyone?

The setlist is full of beautiful songs. But they will never give anyone who states he "needs to get into the songs to be able to sing them" Into party mode.
    Or is it just me?

As for his voice, some nights are better than others but he sounds pretty terrific mostly throughout. I think Cleveland was one of the more dodgy voice days..
    100% agree.