1. I thought something was a bit off in the topic about his voice. I mentioned there was probably something very serious we might not be privy to and got slated for doing so. I even stated it wasn't a criticism, but an observation in the topic of his voice.

Anyway, I hope he is OK.
  2. Well, further on in the interview, Edge states
    It was sort of taken from a Brendan Kennelly quote. He's an Irish poet and he once said to us as a piece of advice that he always found it useful to write as if you were dead. The inference is that it frees you of having to justify later or be delicate or be anything other than a pure expression of your essence and what's crucial to you.

Bono held onto that quote, that idea, and he wrote a lot of these lyrics as letters to certain people that are very important people in his life, the U2 fans being some and his family being others, friends, whoever. These became like a series of letters in the back of his mind. He was thinking, "If I'm not around, what would I like to leave behind?"

So I'm guessing it's merely a thought experiment that Bono ran into (probably too deeply, as he's the sensitive type) than an actual scare.
  3. Originally posted by BelgianBono:Well, further on in the interview, Edge states
    [..]

So I'm guessing it's merely a thought experiment that Bono ran into (probably too deeply, as he's the sensitive type) than an actual scare.
    Bono touched upon something other than the bike accident himself the other week on Dutch Radio, referencing mortality whilst doing so, and he did sound a little emotionally charged. Obviously something has been going on behind the scenes - and **to me** it does actually sound like Bono may have had a health scare of some sort of a serious magnitude.

Bono/Edge have both referenced 'mortality' now in recent weeks - as well as the Rolling Stone excerpt, Edge also made reference to "Bono having some challenges recently" on Simon Mayo on BBC Radio.

All of that is reading between the lines though. I think if Bono feels it's something the rest of the world should know about, then he certainly wouldn't hold back on telling them! Personally I think it's best not to openly speculate as to what it may have been beyond that which has already been intimated by Bono and Edge themselves, and leave it at that, we all have personal stuff that we wouldn't want the rest of the world knowing the ins and outs of.

Let's just hope it has fully passed, and send our love and good vibes to the B-man and all concerned, whatever has been going on.

I remember in 1987/1988 thinking how the heck are they going to follow up on TJT, it's just not possible, and they did, again and again, and here we are 30 years later and still going strong, still cutting the mustard, what a ride this musical journey has been, and I'd like to think it's got a way to run just yet.

4. I really don't want to speculate what it is, even though we think it may help to try understand some of the things the band has said/done.

I hate to think of Bono as anything othere than superhuman (even though deep down I know the man is only human). To me Bono is a real life superhero. He's a mega rockstar and an activist, and he is joined by other heroes that identify as the band mates of U2. And it hurts to see your favorite superhero hurt - especially one you admire and who has been a big role model in your life - I know I'm not alone. People want to be Bono - they wish they could sing like Bono, write like Bono, be as persuasive and as great an activist as Bono, dance like Bono (OK, maybe not). Point is, not many people can have these special qualities and achieve what he has done.

I really wish Bono well, and same for the rest of the band.
  5. As much as we are saying Bono was in a bad spot and what not, I think whatever place Bono is at now is a good one. Seeing interviews, hearing him speak at shows, the passion he has for this new record, these are good indicators of where he is at currently. I wouldn't worry about him now. He obviously looked back at his life and family and became humbled by it. I also think JT17 was great for them, they really seem to be having fun.
  6. Originally posted by guykirk9:As much as we are saying Bono was in a bad spot and what not, I think whatever place Bono is at now is a good one. Seeing interviews, hearing him speak at shows, the passion he has for this new record, these are good indicators of where he is at currently. I wouldn't worry about him now. He obviously looked back at his life and family and became humbled by it. I also think JT17 was great for them, they really seem to be having fun.
    I agree. I believe there was something, beyond the accident, that was fresher with him when he started the tour - emotionally and physically, but it seems to have passed or time has healed the rawness. He is so much more lighthearted and seemingly having fun. Thankfully
  7. Yes! I was in Indianapolis last week and I can tell you that I witnessed Bono skipping onstage at the start of the encore. A smiling, skipping Bono! He is definitely having fun on this tour.
  8. When you look so good
    The pain in Your face doesn't show

That's it
  9. Originally posted by u2opra:

To me Bono is a real life superhero. He's a mega rockstar and an activist, and he is joined by other heroes that identify as the band mates of U2. ...
    I really wish Bono well, and same for the rest of the band.

I wish him well too, but please don't call him a hero. He's a massive hypocrite.
  10. If you're going to make an accusation like that, could you show the courtesy of backing up the claim? Otherwise it's just pointless slander.
  11. Originally posted by bpt3:[..]
    If you're going to make an accusation like that, could you show the courtesy of backing up the claim? Otherwise it's just pointless slander.
    You might wanna check the drunk thread.
  12. Everyone has flaws. He is not perfect, I will certainly admit. But he has done a lot of good for the world and has used his celebrity status more than most have, to help those in poverty and dying from treatable diseases. One, Red, the constant activism and awareness on these issues should be commended, and that to me is where I see the admiration.

He isn't without flaws like I said. There are questionable things he has done that I don't always agree on. But he is a better role model to a lot of people than quite a lot of celebrities out there who have world fame, and the music he and the band makes is very often a good message or inspiration that can have positive influences on people, which is sometimes hard to find.

Yes, there are many times I think he should stand up for causes that affect his own country more, like the recession that hit Ireland too, the poverty that continues as a result of it, the lack of social justice growing in the west amongst our own people due to political ideological reasons. But he won't, and I put that down to him not wanting to fall out with leaders who pay the foreign aid budgets that help his activist causes. A younger Bono without those ties to activism in third world countries relying in foreign aid budget cheques, would probably have something to say about the issues affecting the west and his own people, but Bono has different responsilities now which does tie his hands.