1. I have been with the boys since "I Will Follow" was released. Traveled many places to them. I have always felt like they were "on the fans side." This tour has me furious. Tonight I eat $400 because I have to work & I cannot even give my tickets away. This non transferable policy is a joke. And I do not care if it is the fan club or Ticketmaster. They had to agree to the contract. I have NEVER had a bad taste in my mouth about U2. Today they are on my S***list. Please guys get it together and realize what you are doing to certain fans. If someone is sick or the babysitter bails or if there is a work conflict, you are stuck. Not feeling the love on this tour. AT ALL!!!
  2. I doubt the band themselves get too close to ticketing arrangements. Ultimately this non transferable arrangement is for the best as the main fight is against the scalpers. However, ticketing restrictions should conversely make it easier for legitimate refunds or ticket transfers but those managing affairs don't care. Once the ticket is sold then that's their obligation met.

they should do more but while we all keep buying tickets and keep eating u their ridiculous fees then where is the incentive for them to change?
  3. The non transferable policy is probably the biggest deterrent to scalpers. Without it, we would be buying tickets for 3x the listed price from sketchy sources like craigslist.
  4. Originally posted by ahn1991:The non transferable policy is probably the biggest deterrent to scalpers. Without it, we would be buying tickets for 3x the listed price from sketchy sources like craigslist.
    Except for Ticketmaster's legal scalping, err, I mean resale site! LOL
  5. I actually think Ticketmaster's resale system is much better than people think for several reasons. The biggest advantage to buyers is that they have access to full information regarding ticket availability. Scalpers thrive on the perception that supply is limited and use that as another means to artificially inflate their price. With the resale site, all the prices are listed so it forces scalpers to compete with each other. It also helps that most tickets on the resale site are instantly transferred after the transaction, so you don't have to meet someone day-of to get your ticket.

Scalping is always going to happen unless there is a hard enforced no-resale policy and it's hard to strike a balance between that sort of policy and one that is more flexible to account for honest transactions.
  6. Originally posted by ahn1991:I actually think Ticketmaster's resale system is much better than people think for several reasons. The biggest advantage to buyers is that they have access to full information regarding ticket availability. Scalpers thrive on the perception that supply is limited and use that as another means to artificially inflate their price. With the resale site, all the prices are listed so it forces scalpers to compete with each other. It also helps that most tickets on the resale site are instantly transferred after the transaction, so you don't have to meet someone day-of to get your ticket.

Scalping is always going to happen unless there is a hard enforced no-resale policy and it's hard to strike a balance between that sort of policy and one that is more flexible to account for honest transactions.
    I agree with you. I just think TM should place a ceiling on resale prices on their site. This would (in theory, anyway) help further regulate artificially inflated prices. If you create a ceiling at 30%,40%, even 50% the seller is still making a reasonable profit (even after you hit him with your resale fees) and the buyer isn't getting completely fleeced either. It's other sites that make this difficult, which is why the paperless ticketing works. You'd think they would be able to regulate by allowing transfers through their resale site.

My simple mind is still trying to figure out how this is working for U2, unless the resellers (on TM or scalpers on Craigslist and StubHub are arranging to meet the buyers at venues)
  7. Note this is for the pre sale only. If you go on Stub Hub there are hundreds of tickets for sale. And U2 asks you for a fee to join the fan club which allows the pre sale.. The first tickets I was offered were totaled $1045 with fee. so lets not discuss high scalper fees. $1045 for two tickets? Come on man..
  8. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    I agree with you. I just think TM should place a ceiling on resale prices on their site. This would (in theory, anyway) help further regulate artificially inflated prices. If you create a ceiling at 30%,40%, even 50% the seller is still making a reasonable profit (even after you hit him with your resale fees) and the buyer isn't getting completely fleeced either. It's other sites that make this difficult, which is why the paperless ticketing works. You'd think they would be able to regulate by allowing transfers through their resale site.

My simple mind is still trying to figure out how this is working for U2, unless the resellers (on TM or scalpers on Craigslist and StubHub are arranging to meet the buyers at venues)
    Ticketmaster's resale isn't that good tho.

We have a Dutch company called Ticketswap over there and they do this exact thing. They are a validated resale seller with a 20% max margin on Face value.
    Ticketswap makes a profit by getting 5 % of the sellers, and 5 % of the buyers fee's. (this is not added above the ticket price, its already calculated with the stated price)

All tickets that can be sold are the original PDF e-tickets files, and since they are collaborating with TM and since they force you to validate yourself in several ways as a seller. its SAFE TOO. I've bought 5 impossible to get tickets via this site..

I really like it and its taking Europe by storm atm.. Livenation could easily use a similar system (If its not patented)...

9. Originally posted by drumhead30:Note this is for the pre sale only. If you go on Stub Hub there are hundreds of tickets for sale. And U2 asks you for a fee to join the fan club which allows the pre sale.. The first tickets I was offered were totaled $1045 with fee. so lets not discuss high scalper fees. $1045 for two tickets? Come on man..
    I'm confused. $1045 for 2 tickets through fan pre-sale? Were you trying to buy a package?
  10. I still think the aim of this policy is to ultimately prevent scalpers getting there hands on tickets at the expense of genuine fans. If anything I'd make the system even more strict where if you buy a ticket(s) you have to have a picture of yourself and any people going with you attached when making the purchase. These pictures would then be on your physical ticket so the tickets would be 100% unique to the individual and nobody else could use them.
  11. Originally posted by deanallison:I still think the aim of this policy is to ultimately prevent scalpers getting there hands on tickets at the expense of genuine fans. If anything I'd make the system even more strict where if you buy a ticket(s) you have to have a picture of yourself and any people going with you attached when making the purchase. These pictures would then be on your physical ticket so the tickets would be 100% unique to the individual and nobody else could use them.
    That would really create a proverbial shit storm. If I'm buying tickets for 3 other people and 2 of them back out, how do I take care of Dean who showed up from the UK looking for 1 GA ticket day of show?

Not to mention tying up transactions while you upload photos while checking out...
  12. Originally posted by blueeyedboy:[..]
    That would really create a proverbial shit storm. If I'm buying tickets for 3 other people and 2 of them back out, how do I take care of Dean who showed up from the UK looking for 1 GA ticket day of show?

Not to mention tying up transactions while you upload photos while checking out...
    You would need to either get money of your friends for there tickets before buying them and if they don't want them it's there financial loss, it's most likely people would chose to purchase there own in this case which is fine also. Photos should be uploaded to your account prior to purchase so it's just a simple case of attaching it at time of purchase with a simple click. I know it's harsh but it would certainly stop the scalpers and would mean more die hards are getting to see the show as you would only purchase a ticket if you were absolute certain you could go and really wanted to.