1. I don't get this remix. Sorry. It's ridiculous and not needed at all.
  2. Well the beginning seems a bit disjointed but after it gets going, it doesn't sound that different than the original....
    .... What's with the quick fade out at the end? Is that so the complete song isn't posted? I hope so.
  3. Originally posted by amansman:[..]
    Its not the complete new mix. Its the mix somebody did that mixed the begininning of the new mix with the original.
    I see. Thank you.

If this is the case to then I'm in agreement with those who find the new mix unnecessary. The original sounds great!
  4. I think it's more of a nostalgia thing for them, and a way to get a feel for a live arrangement.
  5. Fair enough. I guess they wouldn't need to revisit the first four songs on the album but if they are going to remix one song when not do the whole album?

Oh, right. Time and energy.
  6. Man, it suddenly gets great during the chorus. What happened?
  7. But then why include those horns? Are they planning to have an orchestra at every show? If they were releasing this to tell the public "this is what you'll get, don't get your hopes up too much", I don't understand the unnecessary horn parts.
  8. Ever heard of a Colliery brass band? Most mining communities had one. Check out the movie Brassed Off for an understanding of how such bands lifted the spirits of the miners during mid eighties strike. Triumph of the human spirit despite adversity, etc. Major theme of The JT.

U2 use such motifs in their songs to evoke a sense of time and place. Apart from the famous Bono instruction to Edge about putting San Salvador through his amp. see Mothers of The Disappeared and its use of gun sounds in the intro to evoke the death squads. Exit with its sense of menace and mania creating a soundscape suggestive of the troubled mind of the song's protagonist. The brass in RHMT serves the same purpose.
  9. Originally posted by TheRefugee:Ever heard of a Colliery brass band? Most mining communities had one. Check out the movie Brassed Off for an understanding of how such bands lifted the spirits of the miners during mid eighties strike. Triumph of the human spirit despite adversity, etc. Major theme of The JT.

U2 use such motifs in their songs to evoke a sense of time and place. Apart from the famous Bono instruction to Edge about putting San Salvador through his amp. see Mothers of The Disappeared and its use of gun sounds in the intro to evoke the death squads. Exit with its sense of menace and mania creating a soundscape suggestive of the troubled mind of the song's protagonist. The brass in RHMT serves the same purpose.
    I'd be lying if I said I knew about the history of colliery brass bands in mining communities but I'd assume your right in what your saying about the band using this connection. I don't get all the negativity about it anyway, I have to say I prefer the original but I can't see anything wrong with any band re-recording some great old tunes as bonus material. I think as well as what your saying it gives the band the chance to get back into the songs prior to the tour.
  10. It's a promo to get the punters talking. No harm done. I've heard Bono say that the brass was supposed to be more prominent in the original mix, so re-mixing or re-recording probably scratches that itch for the band. It wouldn't be my favourite JT song, probably the weakest imho. I'm more looking forward to hearing Bullet remixed and Lanois' mixes of the hits.