1. Originally posted by georgemccauley:[..]
    Yeah, they have always tried to push the boundaries and made a point to not make the same album every time, Pearl Jam are a band that springs to mind regarding that.

I know U2's legacy is solidified but it's just a shame that they haven't had a hit is a long time now, Vertigo was their last one wasn't it?

Maybe the band is not focusing on chart topping hit singles, but it'd be good to see some new material that has been successful worldwide make it into their sets permanently.

In short, where is the next Vertigo? Where is the next Beautiful Day?
    More recent was Ordinary love a hit, and Everybreaking Wave was played quit a lot in the Netherlands.
  2. NLOTH fades horribly after a decent beginning and is (beyond a certain group of die-hard U2 fans) a poor album. SoI worked a lot better though: EBW shows they still have a hit or two in them.

They're not Coldplay, who were born in a reasonably modern era and can alter their style to adjust and help define modern music taste, much like U2 did in the 90's, because they're relatively young (Chris Martin is still in his 30's, albeit a David Brent-esque 39).

But U2's big problem of the last decade or so is that they really don't fit easily in either of the 'what's popular in the charts' or the alternative music crowd (the type of band you usually see at festivals and gets played at house parties where there might be some grass going around). I think they'd like to feel relevant to the former, but they might be better off focusing on making good music that's more than an ambient guitar riff that sounds like something a radio listener might not turn off. It worked for Bowie.

Then again, there's enough people that don't feel a connection to either modern pop nor alternative indie style, and so pine for the 'good old days', and might be happy to hear U2 produce something decent. Modern U2 though means you're more likely to get the next 'Vertigo' than you are the next 'Bad'.
  3. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think people are taking this way out of proportion here. Based on some of these threads, it seems like people think U2 is grasping their dying breath and their entire existence depends on this next album. If you want to talk about albums that were make or break moments for U2, look at Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind. We live in an era where album sales are not really a great metric of success anymore. At this point it's a fair assumption to make that most people aren't even purchasing music when they can just stream it on Spotify or YouTube.

If you look at how U2 have felt about SOI, it's clear that U2 saw it as a success. They've spent a lot of time talking about SOI as part of a multi-album project and it seems like they are well on their way to making that happen. Also, what does it even mean for U2 to be at a "crossroads" at this point? It's not like the next album is going to somehow erase the rich 40 year history U2 has accumulated up to this point.

this. end of discussion
  4. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think people are taking this way out of proportion here. Based on some of these threads, it seems like people think U2 is grasping their dying breath and their entire existence depends on this next album. If you want to talk about albums that were make or break moments for U2, look at Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind. We live in an era where album sales are not really a great metric of success anymore. At this point it's a fair assumption to make that most people aren't even purchasing music when they can just stream it on Spotify or YouTube.

If you look at how U2 have felt about SOI, it's clear that U2 saw it as a success. They've spent a lot of time talking about SOI as part of a multi-album project and it seems like they are well on their way to making that happen. Also, what does it even mean for U2 to be at a "crossroads" at this point? It's not like the next album is going to somehow erase the rich 40 year history U2 has accumulated up to this point.
    Amen.
  5. I feel like people are being pretty hard on them. At the end of the day they are people, people who are trying to keep their music alive and please us. Of course they aren't going to create another Joshua Tree or Achtung, but they are trying their best and as a dedicated U2 fan, that is damn well enough for me. Some bands are never able to create a legacy as U2 did in their whole careers, so imagine being them and continuing to produce music for 30+ years, and still staying relevant through music's evolution.
  6. Originally posted by jane123:I feel like people are being pretty hard on them. At the end of the day they are people, people who are trying to keep their music alive and please us. Of course they aren't going to create another Joshua Tree or Achtung, but they are trying their best and as a dedicated U2 fan, that is damn well enough for me. Some bands are never able to create a legacy as U2 did in their whole careers, so imagine being them and continuing to produce music for 30+ years, and still staying relevant through music's evolution.
    Agreed.
  7. I appreciate the idea behind this topic, but I agree that SOE won't be a make or break moment for U2. However, it could be a minor turning point - if reception is lukewarm, or contained to certain quarters, they might reevaluate their approach to albums. I remember back in 2014 or 15 Adam mentioned that after SOE, the band might want to make a different kind of albums - albums more targeted to their fanbase, perhaps more experimental records. I think it's feasible for SOE to be the turning point like that. U2 will make Big Music, but it mightn't always be the same Big Music - the experimental tracks on NLOTH (Moment of Surrender, Unknown Caller, Cedars, title track, Fez, White As Snow) are all still big, U2-y songs in totality, but they don't feel like typical big U2 songs, ESPECIALLY from the preceding two (and to an extent, following) albums. Maybe that's a direction that this album may make them consider more.
  8. Originally posted by ahn1991:I think people are taking this way out of proportion here. Based on some of these threads, it seems like people think U2 is grasping their dying breath and their entire existence depends on this next album. If you want to talk about albums that were make or break moments for U2, look at Achtung Baby and All That You Can't Leave Behind. We live in an era where album sales are not really a great metric of success anymore. At this point it's a fair assumption to make that most people aren't even purchasing music when they can just stream it on Spotify or YouTube.

this.
  9. I think the reason I feel like this is a crossroads is because of what they say. Based ob interviews they want to know if the younger generation is interested in them or could be and if not then that says something really important. They look at charts which is not accurate anymore. So many people listen to music on so many different platforms and avenues. They need to stop looking at the traditional ways if measuring success because they arent accurate. They are still highly popular and the younger generation is interested. Stop looking at the "charts" because all other signs tell the truth. Concert sales, fan sites, etc.
  10. I'd change the questions...

Who do you expect will listen to SOE?
    Who do you think will listen to SOE?
    Who do you think THEY expect will listen to SOE?
    How do you think they should measure who listened to it?
    How do you think they should measure how much they liked it?
  11. Older and wiser ....the growth of a child.the passing from boys to men....
    That's the way it's turning.they're so "Beyond" this kind of things...like charts or new fans or what that they Will do what they want to do.whether you Like it or not.
    We judge.sure.but it's THEIR music.it's THEM playing
    So come what may
  12. Originally posted by Fly40:Older and wiser ....the growth of a child.the passing from boys to men....
    That's the way it's turning.they're so "Beyond" this kind of things...like charts or new fans or what that they Will do what they want to do.whether you Like it or not.
    We judge.sure.but it's THEIR music.it's THEM playing
    So come what may
    This.