1. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    It's kinda sad that for me the favorable reaction from the general public just isn't the kind of music I like (anymore). I feel that's what a lot of people on this site are having trouble with. I understand that's hard for U2, I mean do you wanna be relevant or make good and deep music (a very black-white statement but you know what I mean)
    That is unfortunate. I really like all types of music so this doesn't affect me.
  2. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    It's kinda sad that for me the favorable reaction from the general public just isn't the kind of music I like (anymore). I feel that's what a lot of people on this site are having trouble with. I understand that's hard for U2, I mean do you wanna be relevant or make good and deep music (a very black-white statement but you know what I mean)

I can definitely say there's new stuff out there that I like quite a bit, but it's not necessarily stuff that's being played on radio stations or whatever. Mac DeMarco, Tycho, Tame Impala and War on Drugs are probably the artists with recent output that I like the most, and I've never heard any of the four of them being played on the radio. They don't really sound anything like U2 though (maybe War on Drugs a bit).
  3. Originally posted by RattleandHum1988:[..]

I can definitely say there's new stuff out there that I like quite a bit, but it's not necessarily stuff that's being played on radio stations or whatever. Mac DeMarco, Tycho, Tame Impala and War on Drugs are probably the artists with recent output that I like the most, and I've never heard any of the three being played on the radio. They don't really sound anything like U2 though (maybe War on Drugs a bit).
    I didn't mean to say there isn't any good music being made anymore, there sure it. But the most music which gets playtime and charted is just not my cup of thea.
  4. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]
    I didn't mean to say there isn't any good music being made anymore, there sure it. But the most music which gets playtime and charted is just not my cup of thea.
    I can agree with you there.
  5. have 2say....blackout sounds reallyyyy cool...GOO wors well on the radio waves...
  6. is there Lady Gaga too? I think Lamar, Kygo are enough or not? And we'll have to listen to Haim like we had Lykke Li in SOI in a song they never played live i think.
  7. played Troubles in Toronto I&E tour...
  8. lykke part was actually great vocal
  9. Yeah I thought Lykke Li was great, an essential part of an excellent song.
  10. Agree... it's sad they played it just a few times. And would be great to have her on stage...
  11. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:[..]
    Let me be clear - Songs of Innocence is, hands down, my favourite album. I can hope other people - fans or casual listeners - like it, I can encourage them to give it another try, I can perhaps offer different ideas about what the songs mean, etc that could perhaps lead to them appreciating them more.

But I can't MAKE somebody like it, and I can't really fault somebody for not liking. I can disagree, wholeheartedly - which I do. I can be hurt to hear that someone doesn't like something that is so important to me - although it doesn't diminish the quality for me, it still makes me feel bad that something special to me isn't appreciated. But I also have to face the fact that sometimes... some things just don't do it for people. And that's their business. As long as they aren't being disrespectful or intentionally inflammatory with their dislike of something, that's their decision and emotional relation to that thing and I can't really say that they're right or wrong for it. At the end of the day, I'll still know that, for me at least, SOI is a really pinnacle of U2's career. And that's something very special indeed.

Wow, I wish I could say that. It's my least favorite, and I have listened to it in a Tree, in a bar, with headphones, with a Cat, with a Pizza, with Chicken Wings, and it just does not resonate with me. I'd rather read U2 by U2 than listen to disjointed sketches of songs about it. The production is bland and very trendy, all the gloss and hooks Ryan Teddy Bear Tedder could throw in, but it can't fix the songwriting for me.
  12. Originally posted by pleasegone:[..]

Wow, I wish I could say that. It's my least favorite, and I have listened to it in a Tree, in a bar, with headphones, with a Cat, with a Pizza, with Chicken Wings, and it just does not resonate with me. I'd rather read U2 by U2 than listen to disjointed sketches of songs about it. The production is bland and very trendy, all the gloss and hooks Ryan Teddy Bear Tedder could throw in, but it can't fix the songwriting for me.
    And what do you think about the new songs?