1. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    To be fair for all our flaws we're doing a good job of coexisting. The problem is the minority who do wrong things are always all over the media and paint a bad picture, when I walk out the door in the morning I don't see hatred or suffering, I see people getting on with their every day lives, nothing spectacular but nothing tragic.
    Indeed media are painting a bad picture. Ad some ignorant an agressive fools in the mix on social media, and things are off. It's not only this. There are too many world leaders and politicians who just don't care
    about the problems of, say 'ordinary' people have. They have the support of corrupt (kiss ass)friends, and there you go.
    Also there are lots of silent racist, sexist and anti gay.
    The coexist message is a good one. But an other one is also verry important: Do not ever think you are here on earth to play judge, that's not for you to dicide.
  2. Do not ever think you are here on earth to play judge, that's not for you to dicide.

Amen.
  3. Originally posted by deanallison:[..]
    To be fair for all our flaws we're doing a good job of coexisting. The problem is the minority who do wrong things are always all over the media and paint a bad picture, when I walk out the door in the morning I don't see hatred or suffering, I see people getting on with their every day lives, nothing spectacular but nothing tragic.

It would be more accurate to replace "coexisting" with "tolerating" and even that might be a bit too generous of a word. The problem with this statement is how individualistic it is. "I don't see it, so it must be a media hoax." If you are surrounded by white people your entire life, of course you won't see any conflict firsthand; you're living in a little fantasy bubble that you've extrapolated to represent reality. Statistically speaking, the numbers simply don't add up. When you look at the percentage of black Americans killed by cops compared to other races, the numbers are heavily skewed. This isn't media bias, this is statistics. When you look at the demographics of most impoverished neighborhoods, you see that minority groups are disproportionately impacted by poverty and pollution. In fact, isn't The ONE Campaign pushing "Poverty is sexist" as a major headline to show how poverty disproportionately impacts women more than men? Heck, if people are so willing to think the world is perfectly fine and dandy just because they've got a nice home and a stable 9-5, maybe we deserve exactly what's coming for us.
  4. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

It would be more accurate to replace "coexisting" with "tolerating" and even that might be a bit too generous of a word. The problem with this statement is how individualistic it is. "I don't see it, so it must be a media hoax." If you are surrounded by white people your entire life, of course you won't see any conflict firsthand; you're living in a little fantasy bubble that you've extrapolated to represent reality. Statistically speaking, the numbers simply don't add up. When you look at the percentage of black Americans killed by cops compared to other races, the numbers are heavily skewed. This isn't media bias, this is statistics. When you look at the demographics of most impoverished neighborhoods, you see that minority groups are disproportionately impacted by poverty and pollution. In fact, isn't The ONE Campaign pushing "Poverty is sexist" as a major headline to show how poverty disproportionately impacts women more than men? Heck, if people are so willing to think the world is perfectly fine and dandy just because they've got a nice home and a stable 9-5, maybe we deserve exactly what's coming for us.
    If tolerating would be a better word then that's fine, we don't all have to agree on everything or be best friends so if it comes to having to tolerate people you don't agree with i don't see the problem with that. I've lived and worked in different areas and countries in fact and I don't see it to the extent the media portrays. I think poverty is sexist is a ridiculous statement, ive not had one job nor known anyone to have had a job nowadays that pays less for women and don't think the choices for women are restricted either. You mention black Americans killed by cops, well again these cops and incidents are rare in relation to the cops doing a good and fair every day job that the news aren't going to report. I'm not for one minute saying because it's rare it's acceptable but what I am saying is if your only going to take the bad points out of life then your going to paint an unbalanced negative view of things, nobody's saying bad things don't happen but having lived in Glasgow, which gets a pretty rough reputation here in Scotland, I've not seen the likes of the media stories that are painted as every day regular occurrences, that's because they're not, it's singled out events that make good (but negative) television. Also whilst there are more white people in Scotland I have had friends of different race and religions and I'm yet to see first hand this conflict you speak off.
  5. Read up.

Also, you probably already know this, but in case you don't, the world is much more than your little bubble. Here's an apt analogy. You go to the ocean and scoop a cup of water. You see no fish in the cup, so you conclude that the ocean has no fish. Then, you see a news report on a whale and say it's a ridiculous media hoax because you've never seen a whale in person.
  6. Originally posted by ahn1991:Read up.

Also, you probably already know this, but in case you don't, the world is much more than your little bubble. Here's an apt analogy. You go to the ocean and scoop a cup of water. You see no fish in the cup, so you conclude that the ocean has no fish. Then, you see a news report on a whale and say it's a ridiculous media hoax because you've never seen a whale in person.
    What are you talking about, I just said I know these things happen but they don't all the time and the media are intent on showing all the negative news because the good everyday news and people that get on with there everyday life aren't worthy enough for these people to show and don't sell there show either. Ive never said discrimination, violence etc doesn't exist I'm saying that the amount of coverage it is given is not a fair reflection on things and neglects all the good things that go on in the world and fails to highlight all the good people. I live in no bubble I can tell you, perhaps you live in a bubble of negativity where all that's good in life is shut out in order to focus your mind on and pick out people's flaws. On this thread you've offended people who may have voted Trump by branding them racist (or at least suggest there reasons for voting could be racist) you don't specify any individuals but just label a group, then you do the same about the uneducated as you put it saying they make uneducated decisions, I wonder how many of the uneducated millionaires would agree with that, or the hard working people that provide for there family and have a happy settled life, life experience is far better education than any college degree. I've not seen and done everything there is to do and see in life but my eyes are wide open and I'm able to separate reality (the good and bad) and the doom and gloomers out there who want to make everyone feel like a bad person.Furthermore you have posted a link that relates to extreme poverty in some of the worst affected countries, yes that may well be true but does in no way reflect the opportunities in the western world and poverty is sexist just fires home a false message for people living in countries outwith the worst affected and makes a false suggestion that most jobs aren't equal for men and women, which nowadays they are.
  7. I'm so sorry for your narrow-minded view and general apathy towards people who don't have cushy lives like the rest of us.
  8. Also, I don't apologize for stating what Trump represents and what his supporters have enabled by their decision to vote for him. Even if you attempt to try and rationalize how only a small percentage of people have acted upon his racist rhetoric, those who voted him in do carry part of the blame. That is the truth and it's unfortunate if people are offended by it.

And if you think I'm all doom and gloom, you'd be sorely mistaken. Most of what's happening in the political world won't even impact me directly. I just happen to give a damn about the people I know who will be impacted by what Trump can do in office.
  9. Ok, let's calm down here. As a participant in this thread, I know we can do better than name calling.
    I don't think this particular discussion is going anywhere, so can we just agree to disagree?
  10. Yes, we disagree. I can't in good conscious find anything agreeable with that point of view.
  11. Originally posted by ahn1991:Also, I don't apologize for stating what Trump represents and what his supporters have enabled by their decision to vote for him. Even if you attempt to try and rationalize how only a small percentage of people have acted upon his racist rhetoric, those who voted him in do carry part of the blame. That is the truth and it's unfortunate if people are offended by it.

And if you think I'm all doom and gloom, you'd be sorely mistaken. Most of what's happening in the political world won't even impact me directly. I just happen to give a damn about the people I know who will be impacted by what Trump can do in office.
    I don't have a narrow minded view though, I know what goes on and instead of soaking up all the negativity I acknowledge it and then move forward in a positive way without judging everyone else like you do. Being judgemental is every bit as offensive as being a racist or sexist or homophobic, your trying to tell someone who they are as if your god and have all the answers, who are you to tell someone there in the wrong for doing something or labeling them. Caring about what's going on in the world is fine and I'd like to think for all your talk your backing it up with actions and in a big way too. I care as well but I don't go about criticising everyone.
  12. Normally I don't really care about what people think from a political standpoint. However, I do care when people think it's a good idea to put a person in power who has made it clear he feels certain people groups have no right to exist.

But yes, who am I to say that Muslims deserve to live in America without having to register themselves to a national database. God forgive me for being so judgmental.