1. Originally posted by germcevoy:A crying shame they couldn't make a show happen this tour especially seeing the venue has been entirely rebuilt and could host 40,000 fans. Certainly would have made up for just having one show at Croke.
    It's difficult for me to be objective, but I was listening to this yesterday on its 30th birthday and it was a very special gig.

A potential reason why Páirc Uí Chaoimh is off the radar since 1993 may be the fact that U2 had an almighty falling out with the GAA at the time over their sale of condoms as part of their Zoo TV merch. This culminated in Bono/ McPhisto having a go at Frank Murphy from the stage before launching millions of johnnies out of the cannons usually reserved for Zoo ECUs. Great fun for those of us who were there, but bridges burned too I'd say.

I went down to look at the new ground a few weeks back and it is brilliant. Much too good for Ed Sheeran and his tape recorder!
  2. Originally posted by Anam:[..]
    It's difficult for me to be objective, but I was listening to this yesterday on its 30th birthday and it was a very special gig.

A potential reason why Páirc Uí Chaoimh is off the radar since 1993 may be the fact that U2 had an almighty falling out with the GAA at the time over their sale of condoms as part of their Zoo TV merch. This culminated in Bono/ McPhisto having a go at Frank Murphy from the stage before launching millions of johnnies out of the cannons usually reserved for Zoo ECUs. Great fun for those of us who were there, but bridges burned too I'd say.

I went down to look at the new ground a few weeks back and it is brilliant. Much too good for Ed Sheeran and his tape recorder!
    I remember the condoms incident but given the GAA are happy to let the band play at their headquarters time and time again gives me hope that they just couldn't make it work when planning the tour. It would be great to see U2 play outside of Dublin again and Cork this year was a great chance.

I'm not fan of Ed but he's giving Ireland a tour of the likes that I've never saw in my lifetime and for that I give him massive kudos.
  3. Finally, Bono mentioned Galway during SBS. There are much better informed U2 fans here on the forum but was this show the first time the band used the "Star Spangled Banner" intro into Bullet the Blue Sky?

I remember the cake being wheeled out and Edge's then-wife popping out. I always preferred this show to the June performance in Dublin. A glorious fine summer's evening down by the River Lee. If memory serves me, there were still a few tickets available on the day.