1. If you want to join and don't have the book yet, there is still enough time to purchase, you won't regret it
  2. Originally posted by Remy:So, how about we do the first 13 chapters in the first week of September? (Tuesday 1-Tuesday 8). This is about 120 pages. I'll make a note-to-self to start reading it again. Has been a long while!

And let us then put our thoughts about it here in this topic Favourite moments etc.
    I won't be around until Sept 14th due to Amsterdam but hey, I can always review later
  3. I'm in! My copy just came in the mail. Read a lot of U2 books but never this one yet...looking forward to it, even with a new school year starting!
  4. Originally posted by bpt3:I'm in! My copy just came in the mail. Read a lot of U2 books but never this one yet...looking forward to it, even with a new school year starting!
    Cool

I will probably start reading again this weekend. Looking forward to it, I remember last time was addictive.
  5. Damn I forgot how great this book is. 60 pages in and can't stop!
  6. Yes, is anyone else interested in discussing the first 13 chapters or so (originally what was planned for the first week of this month, I think?)

I particularly loved the story about storming Sellafield, reading how dangerous it really was, Bono wearing his regular boots, Larry yelling at the police out the window after they were picked up and on their way back.

Also, the story about meeting Bill Clinton at their hotel is just fantastic. Gave some great depth to go with the story I had only heard from U2 by U2 previously. Bono and Edge working on a song while drunk until early morning, Bono falling asleep on Edge's couch and then waking up still "elegantly wasted" to meet with Clinton...fantastic. Not to mention Adam taking his time with breakfast and a bath before he shows up!
  7. Originally posted by bpt3:Yes, is anyone else interested in discussing the first 13 chapters or so (originally what was planned for the first week of this month, I think?)

I particularly loved the story about storming Sellafield, reading how dangerous it really was, Bono wearing his regular boots, Larry yelling at the police out the window after they were picked up and on their way back.

Also, the story about meeting Bill Clinton at their hotel is just fantastic. Gave some great depth to go with the story I had only heard from U2 by U2 previously. Bono and Edge working on a song while drunk until early morning, Bono falling asleep on Edge's couch and then waking up still "elegantly wasted" to meet with Clinton...fantastic. Not to mention Adam taking his time with breakfast and a bath before he shows up!
    Yes Sellafield is interesting. Made me go to Wikipedia afterwards to read about what Sellafield turned out to be. Unfortunately not too good, but still, they did good back then.

Still need to read the Clinton part but from what I remember from my first read all the Clinton stuff is so funny.
  8. Just finished the book last week - and I want to read it again! It's just so good. Feels like you're on the road with the band, experiencing all the madness of Zoo TV. But it's the perfect mix between late night partying and intellectual musings, politically, religiously, musically...

Also, one of my favorite parts of the book was when Flanagan interviewed Bob Hewson, in the middle of the book and then in the last chapter. Bob's concern (and annoyance) that Bono and the band were losing their faith, or at least their positive public image in America because of it, was met by Flanagan's suggestion that they were merely expressing it in a different, more ironic way. Bono's morning-after insistence that Zoo TV was U2 finally moving from "Psalms to Ecclesiastes" in the Bible helps shed new light on this whole era of U2 from a biblical standpoint (which I love! ) And it gives me plenty to think about as a believer myself.

Thanks for the suggestion for reading this, even if the "book club" format never took off!