1. I recently read (it might have been one of the 'did you know' facts at the bottom of U2Start, actually) that U2 considered making The Joshua Tree a double album, but ultimately scrapped the idea and used some of the recorded tracks as b-sides. I had a long car ride today and during that I got to thinking: what if The Joshua Tree had been a double album?

How would U2 releasing a double album in 1987 changed the tour that year, and in years after? Which songs would have been played, played and dropped, become tired warhorses, or left us anxiously awaiting their live debuts? Would the album have had more/different singles? How would our pantheon of 'classic' U2 songs be different today?

To keep this a little more simple and unified, we'll say that the songs on the double album are:
    - the 11 tracks that made the one-disc The Joshua Tree in our universe
    - Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
    - Walk To the Water
    - Spanish Eyes
    - Deep In the Heart
    - Silver and Gold
    - Sweetest Thing
    - Race Against Time
    - Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs of Experience
    - Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
    - Rise Up
    - Drunk Chicken/America
    ...For a total of 22 songs.

Note: I didn't include Desert of Our Love because it really isn't a finished song, and eventually became I Still Haven't Found; I also didn't include Lucille, Womanfish, etc., because we don't have any studio versions of them and don't really know much about these songs.

So, if you're interested, it's 1987, but it's a different 1987... I wanna go there with you...
  2. We had a similar topic to this a few months ago but I couldn't be arsed searching for it.

It's perfect the way it is, many of those songs are subpar and would only have made the album worse IMO.

(Spanish Eyes, Luminous Times and Silver And Gold would have been superb additions though).
  3. The Joshua Tree
    Tracklisting
    Disc 01
    01 Where the Streets Have No Name
    02 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    03 Trip Through Your Wires
    04 Spanish Eyes
    05 Red Hill Mining Town
    06 Deep In the Heart
    07 Sweetest Thing
    08 Race Against Time
    09 Bullet the Blue Sky
    10 Running To Stand Still
    11 Exit

Disc 02
    01 Beautiful Ghost/Introduction To Songs of Experience
    02 Luminous Times (Hold On To Love)
    03 Walk To the Water
    04 In God's Country
    05 With or Without You
    06 Rise Up
    07 Silver and Gold
    08 Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
    09 Drunk Chicken/America
    10 One Tree Hill
    11 Mothers of the Disappeared

Singles
    - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
    - With or Without You
    - Spanish Eyes
    - Where the Streets Have No Name
    - Bullet the Blue Sky
    - Sweetest Thing
    - One Tree Hill (New Zealand/Australia only)
    - Silver and Gold (North America only)
    - Luminous Times (Hold On To Love) (Continental Europe only)
    - Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)

I imagine the release of The Joshua Tree as a double album pushed the release of Rattle and Hum to 1989.
  4. Rattle and Hum came out in 1988.
  5. I did, I'm a Timelord...