1. Very nice recording thanks for sharing, it's always appreciated! I think 5 stars are fine, especially compared to 4 - 4,5 stars bootlegs from this tour.
  2. Grade inflation is a real thing.

If most recordings are 4-4.5 recordings, then where can we go from there?

In my opinion, A 3 star recording should still be a pretty good recording, 4 star should be excellent, while 5 star should be nearly perfect. Most recordings on the list would be 2-3 stars. I remember seeing Toronto 2015 IEM/AUD matrix, which is just a horrible mix/recording...and it's 5-stars.
  3. But I digress--not the best place to go on a rant about grade inflation
  4. I totally agree, I think the ratings have been a bit too nice to my taste of quality for this tour. . And I also agree with your second post
  5. Originally posted by hoserama:From the FAQ:
    5 stars: Near-Perfect Proper Recording; could be released as a proper live album (it may have already).
    4.5 stars: Good Proper Recording; recording sounds great, but doesn't properly represent event i.e. improper mix/incomplete soundboard (poor audience to band ratio/one sided to a certain performer).
    4 stars: Excellent Audience Recording; top-tier recording of the show from the crowd with all elements clear and audible, as it should be.
    --
    Certainly wouldn't call the Seattle mix 5 stars. Technically 4.5 stars. Altho lordy, do I think it's a poorly done mix (and think the star system as written should be revised).
    The revision, in my opinion, should consist merely in removing the terms "proper" and "audience" before the word "recording." Not so much because the term "proper" is somewhat confusing - as it is not so much meant as qualification, but rather to denote line-in recordings (e.g. soundboards) - but because in practise the 4 to 5 range is used to rate (and mark) recordings with a very enjoyable soundquality.

And because the u2start recording archive is managed by various crew members over the years, I think a practical use of rating system is far more sustainable than a theoretical - or technical - sound one. Above all u2start is about "sharing the passion" for U2. As such, the ratings for recordings can be understood best as encouragements, not as fixed categories.

So, back to the issue of "proper" and "audience," while effectively most 4.5 and 5 star ratings fall to soundboards, iem and/or iem-aud matrixes, it shouldn't be closed for audience recordings per se - or any lower ratings for sbd and iem.

As far as disagreements with ratings go, I think a rating is sound when various opinions are a 0.5 star off (e.g., person A rates 4.5, person B thinks 4, and person C gives a raving 5).
  6. Wish there were more IEMS
  7. Originally posted by Remy:A 4,5 or 5-star recording from Seattle is now up on our show pages.
    Audience + IEM matrix from the Japanese folks. Purchased by generous fan(s) and offered here now for free! It's incredible quality and an amazing setlist (with Bad, I Will Follow, Eddie Vedder on Mothers etc.)

http://www.u2start.com/shows/1801/#!audio

Was this the CD that was $60? Thank you so much to those who purchased and then kindly shared it! Appreciated greatly.

8. YEP !!! AMAZING SOUND QUALITY!

9. I'll argue that the scope of the star system is very vague, and thereby not very useful. It is a very simplistic rating system. Then again, as you've stated before, samples are easily provided so one can easily check the sound. It sounds like you're emphasizing a rating as more of a recording enjoyment, rather than a technical assessment of sound quality.

It's like reviewing movies. A 4 star movie may have bad CGI and poor lighting, but might be a really good film. I have the same issue with a lot of film reviewers distilling a review into star system like U2S does. But doesn't seem like it's going to change any time soon!

I'd argue the Seattle IEM mix to be a 2.5 stars at best, at least in my book. A clean Bono feed by itself of the show (which sounds like they have, as do I) would be a preferable listen to the messy mix.
  10. It is very personal which rating you give to a concert recording. So you can argue to the end of times.
    I have just listened to Seattle and I like this recording very much, best sofar of The JT 2017. So thanks to the contributor.
    But not a 4,5-5. A very good 4. Because of the counts and talking.

Also listened to London 1, Alysha recording. Sound is good, but lots of talking, ruins the recording, you can exact follow the conversations, shut the f... Talking while u2 is playing!!