1. People with phones, because you can keep knocking them while they film/take a picture.

2. So, what do you think is an acceptable compromise? I had my phone up for part of a lot of songs when I saw the band last week, mostly because I wanted to be able to show other people what was going on...but I also wasn't afraid to put it away and listen/watch/sing.

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with how the pictures turned out...especially since Adam definitely looked at me and smiled for this picture. (After I got this, I put my phone down and just kind of gawked at the fact that he was so close and kept singing New Year's Day...)

3. One more, partly because I also love this picture, but I also do not understand the people taking a picture of the back of his head...so I see your point there entirely.
  4. Originally posted by Hoosier2012:[image]
    So, what do you think is an acceptable compromise? I had my phone up for part of a lot of songs when I saw the band last week, mostly because I wanted to be able to show other people what was going on...but I also wasn't afraid to put it away and listen/watch/sing.

I have to say, I'm pretty happy with how the pictures turned out...especially since Adam definitely looked at me and smiled for this picture. (After I got this, I put my phone down and just kind of gawked at the fact that he was so close and kept singing New Year's Day...)
    I guess it's a case of not spoiling the enjoyment of others around you by having the phone in a view blocking position for a long period of time and also not having it out too much that you can't just enjoy the show without focusing on taking photos just doing it in moderation basically. I never bring my phone out at a gig because it would kill the enjoyment for me, I like the continuation and flow of a concert and to concentrate on the detail.
  5. I took exactly two pictures during the entire show. One right before Streets started of the red screen, and one right after Mothers ended and the tree was lit up blue - that's it.

Thing is, when I want to listen to an old bootleg/show, I almost always go for the REALLY good ones, or even the professionally released ones, and that goes for photos and videos as well. No one will give a shit about these awful cell phone recordings in a year, not even the person who recorded them. STOP. You'll also be able to remember a lot more if you're actively participating in it, not looking at a screen. Part of a concert isn't just what's happening in front of you, it's what's happening around you, the people around you, the smell in the air, the sound in the stadium, etc. etc. - these are the things that really take you back when you reminisce about something, and the things that you stop paying attention to when you're holding your phone up.
  6. So...I agree with all that's been said about how sad it is that people won't just put their phones down and enjoy the show...

...but aren't we all thankful that we'll get to Periscope along with people in New York tonight who will have their phone up most of the night, or at least during large portions of the show?
  7. Originally posted by bpt3:So...I agree with all that's been said about how sad it is that people won't just put their phones down and enjoy the show...

...but aren't we all thankful that we'll get to Periscope along with people in New York tonight who will have their phone up most of the night, or at least during large portions of the show?
    This is why I think this topic is more of a sarcastic/joking one as opposed to any serious discussion.

We have fans posting tweets, photos, and audio/video streams during each show, so it's honestly hard to seriously ride on somebody taking selfies in the crowd.
  8. Taken by my dad

9. I was back at the mixing desk yesterday and saw this happen around me, too... when streets picked up (you know, that moment where the crowd is supposed to bounce), I actually started jumping and yelled "put your phones down, you cunts, and jump"

mind you, those people holding the phones were all 40-ish men and women...

at this point I've come to the conclusion that a couple of pics with your phone, maybe even a short clip, are okay, but I saw some people record nearly everything (and from so far back, what is the damn point??), and you know what? it's not worth it. as good as phones are these days, they're still too shitty to give a satisfying result... if you have a (semi) professional camera with you and it's your hobby, go for it. at least those results will actually be worth looking at even years after the show.
  10. drives me nuts the amount of phones and nobody watching the real show