1. I think as a complete album it's better than their last three, but there isn't a single that's as strong as some of the ones from Leave Behind and Bomb. I see U2's catalogue as this odd hierarchy:

JT - AB
    |
    UF - Zooropa
    |
    War - Boy
    |
    Pop - October
    |
    All That You - Bomb - Rattle and Hum
    |
    No Line On The Horizon

I can't decide if I would put it with War and Boy or Pop and October yet, but it's somewhere in there.
  2. For me is between :

"As one of their best" and "As an average album"

and examples are funny
  3. I also went for 'one of their best'. And it's getting better by the day.
    But Miracle is not good enough as first single. That's too bad. It's similar with Boots and NLOTH.

But I think we need to hear the songs of SOI first live, only then we can make a proper judgement !
  4. Originally posted by bartajax:[..]

Put my opinion aside about the album, but an evolution?
    JH/RH>>AB sounded like a totally different band, also the difference between Pop and ATYCLB was huge, while the difference between NLOTH and SOI music wise isn't really big imo. SOI sounds a lot like their work in the last 14 years, only better than the previous 3 albums.

It's an evolution in the sense that SOI is perhaps U2's only album that actually feels like a complete album. Every song has its proper place and it flows very well musically and thematically. NLOTH (along with almost every other album except maybe ATYCLB) felt more like a collection of songs that are loosely associated with each other. NLOTH was a very odd album. If you took it out of the U2 discography, one could argue that SOI was a natural progression from HTDAAB.
  5. Originally posted by ahn1991:[..]

It's an evolution in the sense that SOI is perhaps U2's only album that actually feels like a complete album. Every song has its proper place and it flows very well musically and thematically. NLOTH (along with almost every other album except maybe ATYCLB) felt more like a collection of songs that are loosely associated with each other. NLOTH was a very odd album. If you took it out of the U2 discography, one could argue that SOI was a natural progression from HTDAAB.

I agree, NLOTH is very odd, all those long, ambient like songs...there are some really good tracks on it (NLOTH, MoS, UC, Fez, Snow, Breathe, CoL) but none of them really stick in your head
  6. NLOTH is the only song that I put in my standard playlist. I'm not too particular of the others, but I actually started randomly craving Magnificent recently...

I think most would conclude that NLOTH was an interesting experiment which fortunately led to an amazing tour that ironically only saw like 2 songs from the album during the later stages.
  7. One of their classics. Almost certainly the best album since Achtung Baby, easily their best of the 21st century... and this is coming from someone who absolutely, totally adores HTDAAB, Pop, and NLOTH -- I like them better than The Joshua Tree -- and thinks very highly of Zooropa as well.

In two decades, I legitimately think that SOI, AB, and TJT are the U2 albums everyone remembers and loves.
  8. Originally posted by CMIPalaeo:One of their classics. Almost certainly the best album since Achtung Baby, easily their best of the 21st century... and this is coming from someone who absolutely, totally adores HTDAAB, Pop, and NLOTH -- I like them better than The Joshua Tree -- and thinks very highly of Zooropa as well.

In two decades, I legitimately think that SOI, AB, and TJT are the U2 albums everyone remembers and loves.

no way that SOI be in the same step than JT and AB. Maybe was the best album form last years but is far from those. anyway i think it was a very good album but i don t think that have big songs like ATYCLB , HTDAB or NLOTH
  9. 2 months after its release, I'd say it's a good album, but not their best work. I can't rank it yet, but surely it's not at the same level as JT, AB and ATYCLB in my opinion.
  10. Originally posted by patou2:[..]

no way that SOI be in the same step than JT and AB. Maybe was the best album form last years but is far from those. anyway i think it was a very good album but i don t think that have big songs like ATYCLB , HTDAB or NLOTH

SOI is so good that in spite of not having any "big" songs, it's still their most complete album. Even JT and AB had songs that felt out of place. Also, I don't think we'll know which songs get big until they start touring.
  11. Originally posted by AidanFormigoni:2 months after its release, I'd say it's a good album, but not their best work. I can't rank it yet, but surely it's not at the same level as JT, AB and ATYCLB in my opinion.

sums it up for me
  12. definitely top 5 for me, some songs are still growing eg Volcano, didn't like it at first but do now. RBW is the only song that itches my skip finger, but its growing too.